P-47D-25-RE cockpit box? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bozothenutter

Airman
Feb 10, 2021
Anybody what the box circled in red is?
Inked-P-47-Dleftcropcircle-LI.jpg

Wires going into the lower left corner, and possibly a hydraulic fitting on the rear (optical illusion).
Have looked in all the manual I could find....
Redoing the Tamiya 'Bubbletop' cockpit to more closely represent the manual.

Anybody what the box circled in red is?
View attachment 617898
Wires going into the lower left corner, and possibly a hydraulic fitting on the rear (optical illusion).
Have looked in all the manual I could find....
Redoing the Tamiya 'Bubbletop' cockpit to more closely represent the manual.

this box could be receive the Curtiss electric propeller switches(D-30&40 & N) but is unused on D-25 which had Hydromatic Hamilton propeller.
CE switches box.jpg

CE switches box. D 30 D40jpg.jpg

Last edited:
In this modern photo of a P-47D at the USAF Museum there's a box at the same location but it looks different. I have no idea of its function. This "box" actually looks like a sheet of aluminum bent into a U shape. A couple wires go from the throttle quadrant up into the box, and at the forward end is a short cable which connects to a propeller control panel (I think).
P-47D cockpit 360

As Waroff said above ,that box is the control switch for the Curtiss electric propeller and would not have been used on a D25 with the hydraulic prop. The box contained a very unique switch and a push to reset circuit breaker. I had obtained an original NOS switch and was in the process of fabricating the box for it for my 1:1 P-47 cockpit when the whole project kinda ran out of steam

AN01-65BC-1A_Fig04_ElecPropSwitch.jpg
P1014051.JPG
P1014053.JPG
P1014057.JPG

In this modern photo of a P-47D at the USAF Museum there's a box at the same location but it looks different. I have no idea of its function. This "box" actually looks like a sheet of aluminum bent into a U shape. A couple wires go from the throttle quadrant up into the box, and at the forward end is a short cable which connects to a propeller control panel (I think).
P-47D cockpit 360

Joe is referencing the "filler" piece to the left of the Prop Control Box in the USAFM P-47. Someone just made that, wasn't installed from the factory. You can tell by the cockpit photos, a full scale restoration was not accomplished.

Attachments

• CE switches box. D 30 D40jpg.jpg
    CE switches box. D 30 D40jpg.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    649.2 KB · Views: 100
If you zoom in on it, it looks like a short piece of structural aluminum "C" channel. Not original and why it was bolted on there I have no idea. I looked at a picture of that particular P-47 I took a few years ago and there is no indication of anything on the outer skin that those bolts go into.

Untitled.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back