P-47D-28-RE SN44-19718 flown by Boleslaw M. Gladych

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

le_steph40

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 18, 2011
Montech
www.facebook.com
Hello all,

I'm back after a short period without modelling. For now, I'm working on a Bf 109F-4 flown by Alfred Grislawski.
So, one of my future projects is the P-47D "Pengie IV" flown by Capt B. M. Gladych from 56FG, 61FS during Falls 1994. I'm surprised by the color scheme regarding this aircraft, I know that lots of planes
from this unit were repainted with English colours but here the scheme could be this one (Techmod Decals):
- Sky under surfaces
- Dark sea grey and medium sea grey upper surfaces

Tech48008c.jpg

Did this scheme is correct for this plane ? I thought that red lettering appeared late in 1944 or early in 1945...?
TIA, regards
Stéph

I don't think the Pengie IV wore the two tone camo scheme. It might have been caused by wrong interpretation of pictures.

Here what I found via the net...

The source: Forum PWM • Zobacz temat - Mini projekt-P-47 Thunderbolt

"Pengie IV was a Bubbletop P-47D-28RE, s/n 4419718.
The exact scheme is subject to some controversy. Most sources have in the Black (with a blue tint - almost indigo) with natural metal undersides and leading edges to the wings. The scoreboard at some point had 26 kills on it arranged in 4 columns with 6 full rows and the 7th row with two kills ( more on this in my next message with Roger Freeman's notes for the color scheme on Pengie IV). In front of the top of the scoreboard was a small human stick figure in yellow. The codes were in red and white. The serial number was in red. Initially this P-47 was flown without the Pengie insignia. Later it was added this time painted on a red disc. One source has it without the Pengie IV name, the other with it rendered in yellow, highlighted in black...more next time with Roger Freeman's opinion on the color scheme and details on Pengie V, plus a mystery "Pengie", which possibly might have been Gladych's 1st P-47."

"In reference to the photograph on p.106 of Roger Freeman's "56th Fighter Group" (Osprey Aviation Elite 2)
- Freeman suggests "two shades of dark grey on the upper surfaces", yet Gladych remembers the aircraft as "dark blue". Which is correct? (Noticing how the blue of the insignia 'disappears' into the topside color I think it's Insignia Blue). "

"Techmod decal sheet
- Red Circle for the Penguin nose art? Could the nose art for Pengie IV have been similar to Pengie III, a Penguin in the red portion of the cowl?"

And the pic mentioned in the Quote 2...

PengieIV_sample.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Wurger,
Thank you for your answer, I found some sources i and interesting photos here Modelarstwo z pasj

A comment found on Hyperscale here Plane Talking - HyperScale's Aircraft Scale Model Discussion Forum: Remnant of Elusive Black Paint used on 61st FS 56th FG P-47M's - Photos:

"Mr. Schaaf wrote about this in 1976 issue IPMS/USA Quarterly Vol. 11, #4.... October 12 2005, 11:09 PM

The article that appeared in the Summer, 1976 issue of IPMS/USA Quarterly Vol. 11, No. 4 has a summation of Mr. Gladych's military service. And it has an excerpt from the December 28, 1944 issue of the "Stars and Stripes" that explains why he had a hatred for Nazi's. Mr. Schaaf states that the model of "Pengie V" was built towards the end of the war. He also states:

"Pengie IV, aircraft number 41-9718, is the most interesting. The upper surface is MIDNIGHT BLUE, not black as has commonly been reported for the 61st Fighter Squadron."

Further:
"(This color is even darker than Insignia Blue. Start with a lot of black and add dark blue until the paint just begins to show a bluish tint. It's best to mix in bright or outside light so that you don't add too much blue.)"
"

And finally this one Tamiya P-47M (1/48) color question... - ARC Discussion Forums

Apparently, it seems that almost everyone agrees to a black/blue or Midnight blue for the upper surfaces but lower surfaces remain to be determined: NMF, RAF Sky Blue ? Also remains the problem with the leading edges, NMF or upper surface color ?
And, to finish, Pengie IV or not Pengie IV applied on the nose ?

It's OK. No problem. :)

Yes the problem is the colour of undersides and the red circle for the penguin. Pengie III had it painted just on the red part of the engine cowling without any disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back