P-47D "Ol' Steel Butt"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

494thFS

Recruit
Nov 10, 2007
Hey guys,

My local IPMS is doing an Idaho theme build and a buddy of mine is doing P-47D-20-RE, 42-76468, coded UN-R. The left side of the cowl has the name "Ol' Steel Butt" with artwork of Bugs Bunny carrying a sword and shield, while the left has a painting of Idaho. This a/c was asssigned to Lt. John Aranyos of the 63rd Fighter Squadron, 56th Fighter Group. What I'm looking for are reference photos. I found one on p.65 of "Aces and Wingmen II, Volume 2". The photo is great, but I was wondering if there are any more out there that you know of. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Here's a link to the decal sheet: Superscale 48-841: P-47D Thunderbolt

Well here is a pic of the pilot Lt.John A Aranyos!

Attachments

• aranyos.jpg
    aranyos.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 367
That's my Grandfather and he has a heck of a lot of good stories being in Zemke's Wolfpack.

To have access to someone who has personally viewed so much history much really be something. You must be very proud of your grandfather. Tell him thanks for his service! :salute:

The plane was originally gonna be called "old iron Ass"because of Lt.John Aranyos last name ,sound a little like old iron ass.The military wouldnt let him so he named it old steel butt.Lt.John Aranyos just passed away two days ago at the age of 88.God bless his soul.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back