P-47M 56FG 61FS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The first two photographs were taken in March 1945. The others most likely on a different date so it could simply be that the horseshoe had not been added at the time, or even removed. The caption of the third photographs says the color of the machine suggests (or points to it being) probably HV-Z which had his personnal emblem.

I met Lanny Lanowski at a few FOTE meetings at Alconbury back in the 1980s (he died a few years ago ) , his HV--Z was matt black with bare metal leading edges and undersides ( I was into modelling at the time).
I had some correspondence with Russ Kyler when I did a colour profile of his HV--J "Lorene" for the Little Friends site; also matt black but polished so it looked semi-gloss.The upper wing insignia was oversize (60" rather than the standard 40" and outlined like the fuselage one ).
Code letters were marked below the wings at the end of the war to deter "buzzing".
The 3 individual colour schemes were on their Ms only in 1945.

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back