P-51 propeller hub (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mustangboy

Airman
Jan 30, 2023
Hi
Does anyone have a p51 hub scan for 3D printing have the front section need a rear section made as i cannot locate a rear section? Willing to pay for the scan
Thanks

image.jpg

Hey Mustang Boy,

I could have really used those parts, to scan, a few years ago when I was modeling the 24D50 hub. But I did finish, based on only a few measurements that I was given by a propeller guy. Here is what I have, but it will have inaccuracies, since I just used very basic measurements.

Can you tell me more about your project ? It appears that you're trying to complete a P-51 hub, with blades. Using 3D printing, which is what I've done with a Merlin.

Cheers, Tom.

Attachments

• P-51 Prop Hub Approximated.jpg
    P-51 Prop Hub Approximated.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 37
Hey Mustang Boy, I'm

I could have really used those parts, to scan, a few years ago when I was modeling the 24D50 hub. But I did finish, based on only a few measurements that I was given by a propeller guy. Here is what I have, but it will have inaccuracies, since I just used very basic measurements.

Can you tell me more about your project ? It appears that you're trying to complete a P-51 hub, with blades. Using 3D printing, which is what I've done with a Merlin.

Cheers, Tom.
Hi Tom
I have a set of 3D printed cuffed blades, 1944 front part of the hub with some internals and the dome non airworthy . Would love to mount it in my wall but need the back part of the hub to keep it all together. Such a hard part to find been searching for a while now can print one just need a scan or cad to make it work. Will look great when it done. Is that a full size CAD you have? That may work.
Thanks for the info
Cheers
Jamie

Attachments

• 52358398-6D7E-401A-9211-2A32324967FF.jpeg
    52358398-6D7E-401A-9211-2A32324967FF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • 5F3B5B59-7BA1-41F7-B24A-28E01445DA61.jpeg
    5F3B5B59-7BA1-41F7-B24A-28E01445DA61.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
Hi Jamie,

That was quick ! Now I see what you're doing, and it looks great. I think I can help you. Keep in mind, that my full hub was reverse-engineered essentially over the phone, and email. Guaranteed there are shape errors, but you'd have to be a total expert to find them. It was a guy named Keith Hironaka that gave me basic dimensions. You will likely have to tweak the shape here and there.

So, you need the rear half of the barrel ? I don't need to charge you money, but I would like a few pictures when you're done, and I'd also like you to never share the file that you print from. It took me hours or days to model. I have the file in SpaceClaim 3D CAD software, so I can export as a high resolution stl file for printing. The file might end up being large, so maybe we'll need an online file transfer system.

Do you have the barrel supports ? There are 4. I assume you are not using a prop spider ?

Tom.

Attachments

• Prop Shaft and Spider.jpg
    Prop Shaft and Spider.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 29
Hi Jamie,

That was quick ! Now I see what you're doing, and it looks great. I think I can help you. Keep in mind, that my full hub was reverse-engineered essentially over the phone, and email. Guaranteed there are shape errors, but you'd have to be a total expert to find them. It was a guy named Keith Hironaka that gave me basic dimensions. You will likely have to tweak the shape here and there.

So, you need the rear half of the barrel ? I don't need to charge you money, but I would like a few pictures when you're done, and I'd also like you to never share the file that you print from. It took me hours or days to model. I have the file in SpaceClaim 3D CAD software, so I can export as a high resolution stl file for printing. The file might end up being large, so maybe we'll need an online file transfer system.

Do you have the barrel supports ? There are 4. I assume you are not using a prop spider ?

Tom.
Hi Tom
Yes just need the rear half of the barrel. I dont have the barrel supports unfortunately and not using the spider but will make a support tube in the centre. That would be great if i could have a copy i wont share it and im happy to pay a fee as these things take time to create. More then happy to send pictures and put your name to the part for the effort.
Thanks again
Jamie

OK, well, how do we get the file to you ?

And what type of printer are you using, just curious.
The printer is a cr10s does fairly big print sections.
Thanks again
Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jamie;

I can't email anything bigger than 20 megs. This leaves 2 choices. I either decimate the file down to below 20 megs (should actually work) or use a file transfer system.

hey, lucky you. I just tried decimating it (reducing triangle count) and now it's down to 12 megs. The surface is a tad more faceted, but you won't notice once it's printed and maybe sanded a bit.

Stand by......

OK, the file has been sent. I called it BarrelRearFull_DEC01 and the DEC01 means it's been decimated once.

Please let me know when you get it. And how it compares to the front half.

Tom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back