P-51 wing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Elvis

Chief Master Sergeant
Nov 24, 2007
Little Norway, U.S.A.
I never really thought about this before, but now its bugging me.

At the root of the wing on a P-51, the leading edge angles forward, while the rest of it is straight.

What purpose does the angled section of the wing serve?

Elvis

It's to accommodate the relatively large wheels of the landing gear. The P51D wing-root shape, at the leading edge, is slightly different to the P51B/C, due to a slight difference in the size of the wheels. Although the actual room required was fairly small, the fairing was designed to maintain the integrity of the airfoil section, in order to maintain the laminar flow effect.
Terry.

I never really thought about this before, but now its bugging me.

At the root of the wing on a P-51, the leading edge angles forward, while the rest of it is straight.

What purpose does the angled section of the wing serve?

Elvis

The wing plan view for the P-51A/B/C was the same. The Wheel doors were the same and the leading edge of the wheel door was "straight" (perpendicular to longitudinal axis of airplane when viewed from below - and retracted). There was a slight sweep of leading edge from fuse to just inboard of inboard .50 cal port.

The wheels and landing gear struts of all the Production Mustangs were the same until the experimental F-J and the production H.

The D/K had the same wheel/strut as A-C but the wheel door was redesigned with a forward sweep/curve on forward side of door - requiring a larger root chord of the wing and more rear sweep back to about 1 ft inboard the inboard gun port

They (F-H) all had a smaller tire - different from A/B/C/D/K and a completely straight leading edge for the wing. Smaller root chord, thinner wing, no leading edge sweep

Attachments

• p51wingsectiondeterminating.jpg
    p51wingsectiondeterminating.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 320
It's to accommodate the relatively large wheels of the landing gear. The P51D wing-root shape, at the leading edge, is slightly different to the P51B/C, due to a slight difference in the size of the wheels. Although the actual room required was fairly small, the fairing was designed to maintain the integrity of the airfoil section, in order to maintain the laminar flow effect.
Terry.

Hi Airframes

I'm new to this site. I was wondering about the plane you posted.

Question(s) Please:

1. Is it a model that you're building ?

2. Is it a RC model ?

3. Where can I buy a P-51D Mustang (Larged Winged i.e. 4ft. wide maybe)?

Thank You
GOD BLESS

Hi Schooner. I 'm not building a model, I was answering, in part, a question regarding the shape of the wing on the P51 Mustang. If you want a model with that size wingspan, I would think it would need to be a flying model, therefore, any RC model outlet should help.

Hi Airframes

I'm new to this site. I was wondering about the plane you posted.
Question(s) Please:
1. Is it a model that you're building ?
2. Is it a RC model ?
3. Where can I buy a P-51D Mustang (Larged Winged i.e. 4ft. wide maybe)?
Thank You
GOD BLESS

Hi Schooner. I 'm not building a model, I was answering, in part, a question regarding the shape of the wing on the P51 Mustang. If you want a model with that size wingspan, I would think it would need to be a flying model, therefore, any RC model outlet should help.

I think he's referring to you Siggy, Terry :lol:

Schooner, that picture is part of Terry's signature, not a deliberate posted picture in regard to this topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back