P-51B with Malcom Hood

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kingscoy

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2008
The Netherlands
www.arga-nl.nl
Hi all,

Attached a nice photograph of a P-51B with some nice details on hood and gun sight. No clue what unit though. On the back side written with pencil, Woodie; Ginger.

Cheers,
Sander

Attachments

• P-51_2.jpg
    P-51_2.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Nice pic Sander. I'm wondering if this could be a photo-recce Mustang. If you look at the right of the picture, in the area enclosed by the semi-oval window, behind the cockpit, over the radio compartment, there is what appears to be a second 'window frame'. As this is where the camera was mounted on recce aircraft, perhaps it is a recce bird. Might narrow things down a bit.

Could be....Did some searching on the internet but didn't find much. All in all not that many Mustangs were build as recce bird as I understand and I have no info(other than the internet) regarding the units using the recce Mustangs.
I'll keep looking though. Interesting lead!!

Cheers,
Sander

F-6C-5-NT 15TRS, 10 PRG, 9 AF.

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 360
Allison engined Mustangs were also fitted with Malcolm hoods.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 325
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Thank you for these photo's! Interesting photo of that recce Mustang. However the window for the camera is more oval. The "second" window in my photo is more rectangular. Your second P-51 photo does seem to have the same window. Difficult....difficult!!

Didn't found anything yet what could identify this a/c.

But again thanks for your reply Antoni!

Regards,
Sander

Users who are viewing this thread

Back