P-51C NX1204 *prior* to Kermit Weeks restoration by Cal Pacific Airmotive

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MrSmoothie

Airman 1st Class
102
116
Jan 21, 2019
I've seen P-51C Mustang NX1204 up close and also lucky enough to see Kermit fly it. It's a stunning restoration. But I'm working on an RC model of this P-51C NX1204 as owned by Paul Mantz, in its 1949 color scheme, which is how it remained after being retired to his museum. Do you have any pre-restoration photos? Specifically, I'm trying to find out if it had the race number 46 *on top* of the port wing. I know the number appeared on the bottom of the starboard wing. I've searched high and low for photos from 1949 (the last Mantz paint scheme) or the museum years, to no avail. There are several widely circulated photos on the internet of the 1949 and later scheme, but none answer my question.

This can be a confusing endeavor as Mantz repainted NX1204 each year from 1946-1949, plus there was sister ship N1202 -- usually number 60, but on occasion re-numbered 46 when Mantz was piloting (N1202 was later sold to Charles Blair and became Excalibur III which also survives to this day in the Udvar Hazy.
 

Attachments

  • 672684322_1514454220689758_6436888951545773759_n.jpg
    672684322_1514454220689758_6436888951545773759_n.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 9bbc4b7ec08633a12f123ea86c0cea69.jpg
    9bbc4b7ec08633a12f123ea86c0cea69.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 43
  • north-american-p-51c-14284716796-d60de7-1024.jpg
    north-american-p-51c-14284716796-d60de7-1024.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 39
  • north-american-p-51c-NX1204 very best.jpg
    north-american-p-51c-NX1204 very best.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 59
That shot is from after it's Mantz flying days, when it went on display at his museum. You can tell because the records are all written on the side behind the cockpit.

I agree that it "looks" like there no number, but not quite enough to be 100% positive. Sometimes with multiple prints (and copies) details are lost. If this is all that surfaces, it's what I'll be going with.
 
Thanks junkman -- that's the 1948 color scheme, which was really well documented for the LIFE article -- if only such photos existed for 1949! It does, however, tend to reinforce that they didn't bother with a race number on the top of the wing NX1204 and other Bendix Trophy racers, since this was a long distance race, and not a pylon race.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back