P2V-7 Neptune bomber DH-Vampire technical requests

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

crossfirevn

Recruit
May 7, 2010
Hi guys. I'm new here. :p Very pleased to see you guys here.

Just wonder if any of you can provide me some technical information about these two planes: P2V-7 Neptune bomber DH-Vampire?

I'm actually looking for the technical information in these fields: materials, sizes, production processes, joining details, surface finishes, ease of inspection and maintenance. :shock::shock:Unfortunately, I can't find any of these details in any books or websites. So sad....:cry:
Any extra information is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stones - University of Sydney (Australia)

I took some pics of a Vampire found in a barn in NZ which you'll definitely want to see - all wooden and metal components clearly visible...I'll either try and photograph the photos and post them here, or drop us your address in a PM and I'll send you copies.

Welcome to the forum too mate!

Evan

Have you been here?
p2vneptune.com: In the Beginning, the Vega Model V-135/V-146

p2vneptune.com: Vega Model V-146 (XP2V-1)

The Lockheed P2V Neptune

http://www.history.navy.mil/branches/hist-ac/p2v.pdf

http://www.vpnavy.com/aircraft_p2.html

The P-2V was built in Building 82 at the Lockheed B-6 plant. From I remember talking to some of the old timers who built her, the fuselage came together in 10 segments - The Nose, flight station, NLG bay aft fuselage sections and tail which was either the gun turret or the MAD boom, depending on the model of the -7. The wings were three pieces with the nacelles and QEC built by a subcontractor (I believe it was Rohr Industries of San Diego). Other major subcontractors included Vought, Menasco (Landing Gear) and Emerson (gun turrets).

I'm not quite sure but I think the wings were assembled in a box type jig with the leading edge down. Wing skins were milled planks built up around ribs. The P-3 was similar in construction. Most of the aircraft was 2024 aluminum with some of the major wing attach fittings either 7075 or steel.

I know the P-2 did go together easily. As the segments were built, some of the electrical harnesses were installed and married up in final assembly. Large assemblies I believe were joined with Hi-Locs or a similar high strength fastener. I've never heard anything about the quality, but I do know in the 1950s, Lockheed always had high marks for their quality of construction fo their aircraft, especially those built in Burbank. Sometimes the quality would vary due to attriction or increased production demands that would bring in new people, but for the most part the aircraft always had high marks.

In squadron service the P-2 was easy to maintain compared to other aircraft of its day. The R3350s could be troublesome and like any large round engine, continually leaked oil. I think the 3350s had a TBO of about 1,000 hours when the US Navy operated them.

Inside the aircraft was cramped but had a lot more room than ASW aircraft of WW2. To get to the aft section of the aircraft you had to crawl over the wing box. This area had a smooth cover over it so you jumped on to the box and slid yourself accross it. The Flight Engineer either knelt behind the pilots or had a crude bench that was just a few inches above the floor.

I hope some of this helps - a lot of my comments are based on memory. I worked on P-2s for a very short time; its construction was way before my time. I did build P-3s and also worked on the while serving in the USNR.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back