P38-L (Late) Gyro gunsight ? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

zipo

Recruit
Dec 11, 2006
Hello all
I'm trying to find out wether the P38-L (Late) had the K14 gyro gunsight or not. Can anyone tell me ?
Thankyou

ok i found this - so im assuming no P38 ever had installed a K-14 gyro computing gunsight

THE GUNSIGHT VIEW

During its career, the P-38 was equipped with a variety of optical gunsights, including the Army/Navy N-3 in the P-38F through J-5 models. It was a simple reflector sight that projected a 30-mil circle around a center aiming dot or "pipper." From the P-38J-10 onward, a redesigned windscreen required a new sight and mount and that led to the Lynn Instrument Company's L-3.
All U.S. aerial sights were based on the mil system, in which one mil equals one foot at a 1,000-foot range. The 30-mil circle was useful for range estimation, as a typical single-engine fighter's wingspan was 30 to 35 feet, which filled the aiming reticle at a boresight range of 333 yards. Most Bf 109s spanned 33 feet; Zeros and Oscars spanned 36 to 37 feet. Bettys measured 82 feet; at 30 mil they ranged less than 100 yards. The IA sight, however, used a 50-mil ring with a larger pipper. After the L models had begun to carry launch rails, the L-3 also included stadia lines below the ring to compensate for rocket trajectory.

Hi Zipo,

>ok i found this - so im assuming no P38 ever had installed a K-14 gyro computing gunsight

I don't know about operational models, but it seems that the P-38 was used as test aircraft for calibration of the lead-computing optical gusight design (and other gunnery tests).

An interesting account of that can be found in Donald S. Lopez' "Fighter Pilot's Heaven".

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

In the POH for the J series it states that a new type of armored glass is being developed that the site mounts directly on the glass.

It does not mention the Mk 14 CGS sight or its use in any of the P38 series manuals.

The publications on the type only mention the use of the standard reflex sight.

Attachments

• Gunsight.JPG
    Gunsight.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 951
  • armor.jpg
    armor.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back