P38s in Aleutians vs ETO

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marshall_Stack

Senior Airman
Sep 29, 2005
Missouri
The problems with the Allison engines of the early P38s in the ETO are well known (either due to fuel, intercoolers or other reasons), but were the P38s in the Aleutians having any of the same problems? These were early P38 models and in a cold theatre of war.

I have read very little about early P-38's in AK. I do recall an article describing the exploits of one P-38E pilot. The only detail I remember was that when they told him to take his airplane for overhaul he flew it all the way down to his hometown in the CONUS, figuring the air depot there was as good a place as any. I'll see if I can find that article.

The problems with the Allison engines of the early P38s in the ETO are well known (either due to fuel, intercoolers or other reasons), but were the P38s in the Aleutians having any of the same problems? These were early P38 models and in a cold theatre of war.

Actually there is a large amount of confusion about the early P-38s in the ETO compared to other theaters.
The Early P-38s (E's and F's) only did a few missions in the ETO in Sep, Oct of 1942 before they were all sent to North Africa during operation Torch. Aside from a few recon planes(?) and group of plane in Iceland, the P-38 would not return to the ETO (or at least England) until the fall of 1943 almost one full year. When they did I believe it was with P-38H aircraft, could be wrong. There may have been some G's. However P-38Js soon showed up and that is the plane that trouble with intercoolers, at least withover cooling, early planes didn't have enough intercooler capacity for the higher powered engines.

The P-38s in the Aleutians didn't fly at high altitudes for long periods of time. The Aleutians aren't quite as cold as many people believe. The Japanese currant (similar to the Gulf stream)
Helps keep the Aleutians somewhat warm or at least above sub zero most of the time.

Modern weather for Dutch Harbor
"Over the course of the year, the temperature typically varies from 31°F to 57°F and is rarely below 22°F or above 63°F. "

Not saying it was pleasant. Damp and cold or damp and cool seem to the be the two choices:) but it was not as cold as Europe got some years in WW II.

I have read very little about early P-38's in AK. I do recall an article describing the exploits of one P-38E pilot. The only detail I remember was that when they told him to take his airplane for overhaul he flew it all the way down to his hometown in the CONUS, figuring the air depot there was as good a place as any. I'll see if I can find that article.
I believe that was George Laven

1590613028849.png

Captain George Laven P-38 Lightning Ace

I thought I read somewhere that the pilots ran their P-38s differently between the two theatres. It had something to do with the RPM and manifold pressure settings.

I thought I read somewhere that the pilots ran their P-38s differently between the two theatres. It had something to do with the RPM and manifold pressure settings.

It could be, Both Lindberg and LeVier found in 1944 that the P-38 pilots in the south pacific and in NW Europe were flying their planes against the recommendations of both Allison and Lockheed. There is also the issue of timing, as in what year are we talking about, the P-38J introduced the new intercoolers and the P-38 went from having too little intercooler to too much intercooler (for anything but full power).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back