P40 high speed handling tests?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

madrebel

Airman
Dec 10, 2009
i've been looking for high speed test data/reports covering the p36 through p40N. specifically roll rate at speeds of 440-480mph.

in a steep dive at high speed did any of the controls compress such that no input was possible? if so, which controls and at what speeds did this occur?

if anyone has relevant data i would love to take a look at it.

oh and on the off chance someone also has similar data for the dewoitine 520 that would be great too :D.

P-40: A bit more than 80° per second at 440 mph IAS. The dive speed limit was 485 mph and initially stick forces in a pullout were very strong.

P-36: A H-75 A-1 for France reached a dive speed of 575 mph flow by a C-W test pilot.

wow thats interesting info,

I have to wonder when the P-36 dive data was collected because that sounds too fast. Just seems if the instrumentation might've been limited in the late 30s/early 40s.

I dont doubt the P-40 rolled as well at high speeds. It was said to have one of the best aileron designs of the war. Apparently the mechanics allowed for a consistent roll at with moderate stick forces even at high speeds.

I'll have to look into those books. Thanks for sharing.

Bill

You may want to check out this site
P40Warhawk.com

Johnny

Users who are viewing this thread

Back