P47 of Eugene L.Noyd, i need squadron identification

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

DSC_0015.jpg

Hi all,
Eugene L.Noyd shot down near Bergamo ( Italy)

In the picture the noise art of its plane ( P47)

A friend, Mr. Vezzoli, asks what the group came, picture ecc ecc

Thanks

ciao

Fabio

I found this message...

"My home town is Palazzolo Sull'Oglio in Brescia province, northern Italy. During WW 2, in 1944 and 1945, the railway and the freeway bridges spanning the river Oglio close to the town were often bombed, probably by P 47 fighter-bombers of 350th fighte r group based in Pisa. On Sunday, November 12, 1944, the railway bridge was attacked and partly destroyed by a group of 12 P 47 fighter-bombers. One of the P 47's, flown by a pilot by the name of Eugene L. Noyd (wearing a tag with the number 0-715581), was shot down by the Germ an Flak defending the bridge. The serial number of the aircraft was 890-22914-R. Can anybody give me more information about that event,the squadrons involved and about the bombing missions against those 2 bridges and targets in that area? The information I have comes from a 1995 publication of the Cicogna-Rampana foundation in Palazzolo sull'Oglio. ôEventi di guerra a Palazzolo Sull'Oglio e dintorniô. by Ernesto Schneider. If this publication is accurate, the railway bridge was attacked 32 times and the freeway bridge 9 times. Most of the attacks were carried by P 47's. Some were carried by Boston light bombers. Only one of them was carried by Liberator heavy bombers.
Posted By: Gerard Kupfer (gerard.kupfer(at)span.ch) on Monday, February 03, 2003 at 15:59:57"

http://www.p47advocates.com/P47-Adv...ntentName=_incGuestbookList.cfm&pStartRow=102

In reality Noyd was with the 57th fighter group, 66th fighter squadron and is listed on their website as KIA. His aircraft s/n was 42-28385; KIA Dec 11, 1944

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

the 57th Fighter Group will be in Italy next week. :D

The pieces are kept in barracks of fire department for over 60 years...
the same department who intervened to put out the fire of P47.
Mr. Vezzoli told me that there are also photos of the crash...

Ciao

Fabio

I found this message...

"My home town is Palazzolo Sull'Oglio in Brescia province, northern Italy. During WW 2, in 1944 and 1945, the railway and the freeway bridges spanning the river Oglio close to the town were often bombed, probably by P 47 fighter-bombers of 350th fighte r group based in Pisa. On Sunday, November 12, 1944, the railway bridge was attacked and partly destroyed by a group of 12 P 47 fighter-bombers. One of the P 47's, flown by a pilot by the name of Eugene L. Noyd (wearing a tag with the number 0-715581), was shot down by the Germ an Flak defending the bridge. The serial number of the aircraft was 890-22914-R. Can anybody give me more information about that event,the squadrons involved and about the bombing missions against those 2 bridges and targets in that area? The information I have comes from a 1995 publication of the Cicogna-Rampana foundation in Palazzolo sull'Oglio. ôEventi di guerra a Palazzolo Sull'Oglio e dintorniô. by Ernesto Schneider. If this publication is accurate, the railway bridge was attacked 32 times and the freeway bridge 9 times. Most of the attacks were carried by P 47's. Some were carried by Boston light bombers. Only one of them was carried by Liberator heavy bombers.
Posted By: Gerard Kupfer (gerard.kupfer(at)span.ch) on Monday, February 03, 2003 at 15:59:57"

http://www.p47advocates.com/P47-Adv...ntentName=_incGuestbookList.cfm&pStartRow=102

In reality Noyd was with the 57th fighter group, 66th fighter squadron and is listed on their website as KIA. His aircraft s/n was 42-28385; KIA Dec 11, 1944
All the monthly action summaries are on the 57th website. I have don extensive research on the 57th Fighter Group and the aircraft, tail number, manufacture plant etc. There is some great info but it takes digging. I can research the tail number if you are still interested almost 20 years latter? Attache dis sample of very interesting aircraft with sorted past. Was hard to track.

Attachments

• 66th P-47 Research (Tail 71 -Very Short Summary).pdf
    9.2 MB · Views: 4
View attachment 393038

Hi all,

Thanks

ciao

Fabio
View attachment 393038

Hi all,

Thanks

ciao

Fabio
Wow - So jealous. What a great piece of history - this is the 66th FS of 57 FG., "Exterminators" I have much research on this group. This is from Fisher a Sergent in 66th. If you every need a new home for the "Bird" let me know!

Attachments

• fishergroup.jpg
    fishergroup.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1
  • fishergroup2.jpg
    fishergroup2.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 2
  • fishergroup3.jpg
    fishergroup3.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3
  • fishergroup4.jpg
    fishergroup4.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1
  • fishergroup5.jpg
    fishergroup5.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3
  • fishergroup6.jpg
    fishergroup6.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2
  • fishergroup7.jpg
    fishergroup7.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 3
All the monthly action summaries are on the 57th website. I have don extensive research on the 57th Fighter Group and the aircraft, tail number, manufacture plant etc. There is some great info but it takes digging. I can research the tail number if you are still interested almost 20 years latter? Attache dis sample of very interesting aircraft with sorted past. Was hard to track.

Unfortunately Joe passed away last year.

Unfortunately Joe passed away last year.
Sorry to here that. Thank You for letting me know.
Where is the wreckage? It should be preserved. I am sure several museums would be interested. The Tennessee Museum has the 66th sister squadron P-47.

I have a piece of Fw 190 W.Nr. 681323 and a FW-190 BMW Exhaust from Poland but the "Bird" belongs in a museum.

In the original post he is asking about the P-47. He has posted picture of Aircraft components and the 57th FG 65th FS Mascot. The strange bird. The meaning of the bird is explained in the 65th FS unit history book (I posted a picture) titled "Jackpot"

I assume wherever Fabio lives. He says the pieces are in a Fire Department. The same one that put out the fire caused by the crash.

Having said that, I don't know. The thread is 16 years old, and neither poster is active. Joe passed away, and Fabio was last seen here 10 years ago in 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back