Bill,
As for the control forces of both a/c, I agree with you, and I wasn't trying to make the P-51 sound bad, I was just pointing out that elevator forces are mentioned to be similar in that a/c compared to the 109 at high speeds. In short the same is said about the 109, modern pilots mentioning that 5+ G maneuvers are quite easily achieved with one hand on the stick at moderately high speeds. Exceeding 700 km/h and the 109's elevators becom very stiff however, but two hands on the stick will solve that according the pilots. Above 750 km/h and it becomes very hard even with two hands and trimming is needed.
My understanding was that 700 km/h was the practical limit in the 109 from Kurfursts site:-
Me 109 G:
- How difficult was it to control the 109 in high velocities, 600 kmh and above?
The Messerschmitt became stiff to steer not until the speed exceeded 700kmh. The control column was as stiff as it had been fastened with tape, you could not use the ailerons. Yet you could control the plane."
- Kyösti Karhila, Finnish fighter ace. 32 victories
"-Many claim that the MT becomes stiff as hell in a dive, difficult to bring up in high speed, the controls lock up?
Nnnooo, they don't lock up.
It was usually because you exceeded diving speed limits. Guys didn't remember you shouldn't let it go over.
The controls don't lock up, they become stiffer of course but don't lock. And of course you couldn't straighten up (shows a 'straightening' from a dive directly up) like an arrow."
- Väinö Pokela, Finnish fighter ace and Me 109 trainer. 5 victories
How heavy did the Me controls get at different speeds?
"It got heavy, but you could use the flettner. It was nothing special, but a big help.
Once in '43, there was a Boston III above the Gulf of Finland. I went after it, and we went to clouds at 500 meters. Climbing, climbing, climbing and climbing, all the way to seven kilometers, and it was just more and more clouds. It got so dark that I lost sight. I turned back down, and saw the Russkie diving too. Speed climbed to 700 km/h. I wondered how it'd turn out. I pulled with all my strength when emerging from the clouds, then used the flettner. I was 50 meters above sea when I got it to straighten out
Me109 was almost a dream come true for a pilot. Good controllability, enough speed, excelent rate of climb. The feel of the controls were normal except when flying over 600km/h - some strength was needed then.
- Erkki O. Pakarinen, Finnish fighter pilot, Finnish Air Force trainer
Its also worth remembering that the 109G was red lined at 700 km/h unless you were below 3 KM and considerably slower than that at altitude.