Parts of a P-38 drop tank ID

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jim Thoreson

Recruit
Jul 31, 2017
HI everyone. I am part of a search and rescue organization in Canada. We have recently found an a/c crash site, or rather a part thereof. I say part of, because we have not been able to find the main body of the a/c as yet, but we have an eye witness that saw it in the mid 1970s, but never told anyone. Because this is located in a heavily wooded, very desolate area in Northern Canada, we feel this a/c was a WWII fighter/bomber that was enroute to or returning from Alaska during the war and crashed. We have not been able to establish any missing a/c that relate to this location so are very interested in determining exactly what we have here. I have attached some photos of parts which were located in the area searched. We have confirmed that some of the debris is from a P38 or similar Lockheed a/c, drop tank. Other debris has not been positively identified as yet. I have been told are from the innards of a P 38 or similar drop tank, that is part of the "hangar" or connection to the a/c. Part numbers on two of these parts are 194096, and 194097. If anyone has a diagram/photos of a drop tank innards, that show these parts, I would appreciate hearing from you.

IMG_4038.JPG
IMG_4077.JPG
IMG_4041.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fairly sure there is a P-38 E&M manual on the forum.
If you cannot find it I will post what I have -- 01-75FF-2 P-38 Lightning E&M and 01-75FG-2 = AP 2021A P-38 Lightning 1 E&M .pdf
Hi MiTasol. Thanks for the note, but there was no attachment and I cannot find anything in the "search". Any suggestions. Thanks Jim

Hi Jim

Here are the two docs I have. I thought one came from this site but I guess my memory is up the creek (again??).

Attachments

• 01-75FF-2 P-38L-1 E&M (43-01-15) POOR .pdf
    16.9 MB · Views: 229
  • 01-75FG-2 = AP 2021A P-38 Lightning 1 E&M (42-08-05).pdf
    19.1 MB · Views: 87
Hi Jim
If you get a subscription to Classic Aircraft Blueprints, Drawings & Manuals | AirCorps Library you will find they have a good selection (but nowhere near all) of the P-38 technical drawings there, as well as at least two illustrated parts catalogs.
The two numbers you quote do not come up in a drawing search but most of 194000 to 194070 and a lot of higher 194nnn numbers are there so that fits with the wreck being a P-38

Your parts may show in the parts catalogs either by searching for the numbers or by a page by page search. Just because the number does not show in the index's does not mean it was not a P-38 part. Some parts have multiple part numbers (eg a rough casting or forging number and a finished part number) or it may be a subpart of an assembly which is always changed as the assembly and never procured separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back