photo question (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kingscoy

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2008
The Netherlands
www.arga-nl.nl
Hello,
A while back ago I posted a thread regarding PDU Spitfire N3069 which was shot down on March 22, 1940 at the Dutch-German border near Arnhem. I got my hands on a original press photo which was published in several Dutch newspapers. I have attached a photo of the back. The stamp is wondering me. I did some searching on the web but couldn't find anything related to this photo library in Berlin. Perhaps that someone knows this library/ archive. Any info would be welcome and very much appreciated.

Kind regards from Holland,
Sander

Attachments

• Wrak N3069_4.jpg
    Wrak N3069_4.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 163
Probably not an actual libray but a company that mass produces photos for sale in souviener shops...kind like post cards. I have something similar about a Bf 109 only to find that it was a mass copy.

The strange thing is that Tiergartenstrasse 10 is now the location of the Japanese ambassy. And after more than 20 years of research I never found another (real) photo which was as sharp as this one so I don't think that it was mass produced as a souvenier. Perhaps copies were distribuated as part of the international news communication?

Very possible. It does say Japan Photo Library on that backing. Might have been for distribution to Japanese media from the Reich.

My 2 cents are that the stamp is actually from the 40's, judging by the term used "Fernsprecher" and by the format of the number. For reference :

fernsp.jpg

Last edited:
I think you are absolutely right. Fernsprecher means; telephone....and indeed the format of the telephone number is the same. You're enclosed pic is really helpful and does convince me that this photo was distributed as a press communiqué. And that fact gives me some research ideas...and the hope that there must be more of these photo's. Stuff to work with....Thank you very much for your reply!!

Cheers,
Sander

Last edited:
Glad i was able to help a bit, if you ever find out more do share !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back