Pics of 325th Fighter Group P-40's?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bucksnort101

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 11, 2007
Minnesota
I'm looking for wartime pictures of P-40's with the 325th Fighter Group (Checkertails) which had shark mouths. I beleive the 325th was with the 12th Air Force when they were flying p-40's. There are paintings, and several P-40 restorations in these colors, but for some reason I cannot find any real life, war time pics.
Any help out there?

Maj. William R. Reed, 317th F.S., 325th F.G.

Untitled.jpg

Geo

Some pictures of P40 from the 325th Fighter group. The picture of the three P40's shows the middle one with sharks teeth.

Attachments

• P-40_325th_Fighter_Group.jpg
    P-40_325th_Fighter_Group.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 559
  • P-40F_325th_Fighter_Group_Operation_Torch_2.jpg
    P-40F_325th_Fighter_Group_Operation_Torch_2.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 336
Here is a larger shot of these P-40Fs participating in the Torch operation...

Having been to a couple of 325'th Checkertail clan reunions I am surprised to see any wartime pictures of a P-40 with a Shark mouth since the living pilots all swore that none of the aircraft in the entire squadron ever wore one.

Wheels

Wheels, the caption accompanying the photo I posted said "lone shark". I assumed it was the name of the aircraft as I couldn't make out the writing in the photo. I'll see if I can find the photo with caption when I get out of camp on Wednesday.

Geo

EDIT: Found the same photo in another book and the caption of this one says "First letter of the name "_one Tiger" is not decipherable.

Last edited:
Some pictures of P40 from the 325th Fighter group. The picture of the three P40's shows the middle one with sharks teeth.
Plane #80 in the picture is my late father-in-law, Robert W Myers. It had "KEWPIE" on the nose (his wifes nickname). None of the photos I have of his plane or any other planes he took pictures of have a sharks mouth.
3.jpg

Found some more info about the P-40 in Post#2, from "Checkertails The 325th Fighter Group in the Second World War"-Squadron/ Signal Publications "Lone Tiger of the 317th Fighter Squadron was flown by Major William R. Reed. His uncle, W.N. Reed was an ace (10.5 kills) with the American Volunteer Group (AVG - Flying Tigers) in China. Bill was the commander of the 317th and had two kills to his credit. (Photo credit for the photo is F. Patt)

Plane #80 in the picture is my late father-in-law, Robert W Myers. It had "KEWPIE" on the nose (his wifes nickname). None of the photos I have of his plane or any other planes he took pictures of have a sharks mouth. View attachment 541480

It is quite clearly seen in the enlarged shot.

P-40_325th_Fighter_Group_a.jpg

But saying about the shark teeth Tracker meant the second image with the three P-40s at low altitude ..

However the markings on the engine cowling doesn't seem to be the shark mouth though. I would say that was the name and either a yellow/ white number or just a light reflection on the oval surface of the radiator cowling . also it might have been a nose art there. I bet on the number though.

P-40F_325th_Fighter_Group_Operation_Torch_2a.jpg

It is quite clearly seen in the enlarged shot.

View attachment 541486

But saying about the shark teeth Tracker meant the second image with the three P-40s at low altitude ..

View attachment 541487

However the markings on the engine cowling doesn't seem to be the shark mouth though. I would say that was the name and either a yellow/ white number or just a light reflection on the oval surface of the radiator cowling . also it might have been a nose art there.

View attachment 541488
Ooops! Thought he was referring to the first, 4 plane photo. Was wondering if there is any active website for the 325th FG. Have some old photos from North Africa.

No problem. To be honest the thread is an old one . The last post was sent by Fubar57 in 2014.
On the post #7 pic of my father-in-laws plane, can anyone help identify what the 3 dots on the fuselage near the front of the wing are? Better? picture below. I don't believe he was credited with any air-to-air kills. Thanks. Brian

scan0003 (4).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Having been to a couple of 325'th Checkertail clan reunions I am surprised to see any wartime pictures of a P-40 with a Shark mouth since the living pilots all swore that none of the aircraft in the entire squadron ever wore one.

Wheels
Hi, been to Lesina, Italy? let me know.

Plane #80 in the picture is my late father-in-law, Robert W Myers. It had "KEWPIE" on the nose (his wifes nickname). None of the photos I have of his plane or any other planes he took pictures of have a sharks mouth. View attachment 541480
I think i posted thus p-40 named kewpie in my ebay p40 thread recently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back