pics or info on 467sqn lancaster bomber ed768

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

paul green

Recruit
Aug 15, 2008
london
Hi everyone need some help researching about my grandfather raf sergant john patrick egan.He was a navigator2 shot down on 25/26 may 1942/3,the pilot was parsons who sadly died from been shot down he was a australian pilot.I no the crew were part of the original c flight.My grandfather was taken prisoner of war for 2/3 years,he was beaten black and blue by the germans because of the gee navigation skills he was lucky enough to no.Back then it was top secret and never gave in to the germans.Their is a book souley about my grandfather called prisoner at large,what i am to do is collect pics and stories about the crew of ed768 avro lancaster bomber.He died in 1970 when i was 6 months old.we havent got that much info on him and would love to pass on info to my mother and uncle who are his children.thankyou

Hello:

Some details on ED768 are here:

Lost Bombers - World War II Lost Bombers

There is also a wide variety of documents available online for 467 Squadron.

Go here:

RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia

Click on:

Search now – as a guest user

On the screen that results, find the box called "Keywords (or name)", and type in 467 Squadron, then click the large "Search" button at the bottom of the page.

On the screen which results, click the uppermost of the two "display" buttons.

The screen which then appears is called "Display item search results". Click the "Digitised images first" button.

All of the (many) documents which have been scanned in by National Archives of Australia staff will then be available to you. The one you want most is "Unit history of number 467 Squadron - December 1942 to October 1945". Click the "View Digital Copy" link.

There are 1,238 (!) pages in this file. It appears to have been scanned in reverse order - page 1238 refers to the squadron being new, and is for December 1942. When reading the pages, ensure you have clicked the "Enlarge" button at the very top of the page, otherwise the image may be too small.

The loss of ED768 appears on page 1085 of the file. You should be able to trace all other details of the Ops your Grandfather went on by scrolling back in time, ie. start at page 1085 and enter progressively larger numbers. Note that postings onto and off the squadron are also recorded, so you should be able to determine when your Grandfather was first posted in.

Crew photos are sadly very rare.

The other digital documents on the Archives site may give you some flavour of life on the squadron.

You should also note from the Lost Bombers site that Sgt. Egan was on the run for a month before finally being captured - that may have been the reason for his mistreatment.

My dad, John Frayn Turner, urgently needs to contact your family because the book he wrote in 1957 about your grandfather, John P. Egan, is to be re-issued in 2009. As you know, 'Prisoner at Large' told the story of Egan's two harrowing years at large in Europe after his Lancaster was shot down over Belgium on May25/26, 1943, his time with the resistance etc. We have been trying to find Johnny Egan for several weeks through the RAF Association and their contacts, but without success. Since Prisoner at Large my dad has had 28 books published - mainly about WW2. He collaborated with Douglas Bader on four of them and also wrote a biography of him. He is so keen to contact your family because the book is clearly Egan's story and it would be good to be able to add some photos to it and update it - especially as your grandad appears to have died so young. Think you said 1970? So please do get in touch. My dad lives in Leatherhead, Surrey and would be really pleased to meet you.

welcome to the forum Margaret. you may try PMing Paul or getting the email ( if he has one ) on his personal page. This thread is 6 years old and it doenst look like he has posted anything since. good luck.

Hi everyone need some help researching about my grandfather raf sergant john patrick egan.He was a navigator2 shot down on 25/26 may 1942/3,the pilot was parsons who sadly died from been shot down he was a australian pilot.I no the crew were part of the original c flight.My grandfather was taken prisoner of war for 2/3 years,he was beaten black and blue by the germans because of the gee navigation skills he was lucky enough to no.Back then it was top secret and never gave in to the germans.Their is a book souley about my grandfather called prisoner at large,what i am to do is collect pics and stories about the crew of ed768 avro lancaster bomber.He died in 1970 when i was 6 months old.we havent got that much info on him and would love to pass on info to my mother and uncle who are his children.thankyou
Hi Paul
We are searching for his crash site, please contact me asap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back