Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Are they "planting" a mine here, or have they discovered one and are about to dig it out of what looks to be sand-if so, must be the war theater in Africa.

The photo is probably staged, even if the mine seems to be a British one.

It must be noted that, when planting a minefield, the final activation of the mine was always done, or supervised by, an Officer.

Mountain troops-but, with the long wooden handles on the "Potato Mashers" and tucked into the harness or webbing, how difficult it would be to drop into the prone position while running- getting the handle end of such a grenade jammed into your crotch might not be a pleasant experience. Wonder if there was another way the Germans could carry those grenades?

Did only the K98 rifles carried by the Mountain Troops have the heavy steel buttplate- a Mauser collector told me that those were designed to use the rifle as a aid to climbing in steep, rocky terrain- sort of a "crutch" I suppose.

Last edited:
The photo is probably staged, even if the mine seems to be a British one.

View attachment 483282

It must be noted that, when planting a minefield, the final activation of the mine was always done, or supervised by, an Officer.
A.T. -- "Anti-Tank" Mark V- or Mark 5. How was this mine activated, after being buried? How would these British mines have compared to the "Teller" design, as used by the Germans?

Basically the same activation method and effect. A pressure activated firing pistol, requiring around 200 lbs of pressure, 'fired' by pressure on the central 'plug' in the dome, or by a slightly larger diameter pressure plate. The British mine used that cross-shaped ring, or 'spider, as the pressure activation, which pressed on a sear, releasing a pin which activated a plunger-type firing pistol. This meant the mine could be fired by pressure anywhere around the upper surface of the mine, whereas the 'Teller' normally required that pressure to be in the center, so it could possibly be run over at the edge, and not detonate.
I think the German 'Teller' (plate) mine had around 10 or 12bs of HE, whereas the British Mk.V contained around 8 lbs, and was later replaced by the more effective and reliable Mk. VII AT mine.
All of these mines were designed to blow the track off a tank.

The boat nearer the photograph is not a submarine but is a towable submersible float for the transport of liquid fuels (GR 253 - Sportiello-type float) built during the war 1940-1943. After the war it was used as fuel depot in La Spezia. In the background the CORAZZATA C. DUILIO in reserve.
Photo by Aldo Fraccaroli taken on 1.7.1954 at the Banchina Scali de La Spezia and published on Erminio Bagnasco, "Aldo Fraccaroli Naval Photographer", Parma, Albertelli, 1996.

Users who are viewing this thread