Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson Az

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been to the copper mine too (assuming it is one and the same). Is that the one down by the border? If it is that is one massive mine.

if I win the lottery, i'm buying that TWA Constellation they gt there. LOL

There are huge mines all over Arizona. I know the ones your both talking about and our company is working at those as well. I will be at the Morenci mine, which is close to the New Mexico border. This is a $1.3 billion project and the mine covers 10-12 sq miles.

We had our banquet dinner at Pima for thr 355th reunion in 08 and they were pretty far along on the B-36. It has an interesting history they may not have told you about. Circa 1970 a bunch of Convair/SAC vets had RESTORED it to operational capability. The restoration site was Great Southwest Airport on the Tarrant/Dallas County line and Hwy 183 just before DFW became operational.

When they got ready to fly it, I heard that the State Department stepped in and shut it down based on the BS that it was a nuclear capable aircraft (and a B-29 is not?). At any rate they forced them to move it (not fly it) and I never heard a word about it until it surfaced at Pima. I do not know if the State Dept story was true but sure it is the same B-36

BTW - there is as good a collection of MiG's at Pima as anywhere in the West except Nellis. They were in the very back section of the museum grounds when I last saw them.

Great pictures Thorlifter. I was in Tucson for a week in August and didn't know there was a museum:(. We were training at a mine that is also Komatsu's proving grounds.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back