Poll: Favorite Daimler-powered Fighter? Part 2 (1 Viewer)

Favorite DB 605-powered Fighter?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ShVAK

Airman 1st Class
Aug 15, 2012
This time, fighters with the DB 605 (including license built versions from Fiat).

Bf 109 "Gustav"

Me109_G-6_D-FMBB_4.jpg

G.55 Centauro

FIAT-G55-Centauro.jpg

C.205 Veltro

plane-Macchi-M.C.205-Veltro.jpg

Re.2005 Saggitario

Reggiane%2BRe.2005%2B1.jpg

Vote!

Italian fighters look just great. My favorite is the G.55, maybe the best looking prop driven fighter ever produced.

the italian fighters are all heavier and larger of Gustav, they never got the more powerfull 605 variants so my choice is for the Gustav (like a -10 variant).
If we limited the choice at summer '43 situation, the Gustav had ever the advandage, smaller and lighter, but i think the G-55 is a good choice for a heavy fighter (has 3 gun and 2 hmg as standard so i comparing it with Gustav with pods).

Centauro is just beautiful. Probably the best-looking DB-605 fighter of them all. Sleek are powerful looking.

I give it to the Re.2005, it is by far the best looking liquid-cooled engine fighter to me (rivaled only by the other Serie 5 fighters and late Spitfires). Too bad it was too expensive to produce in numbers.

The Centauro certainly has flair. If looks could kill...

I believe the Lufwaffe tested all these Italian fighters with a view to possibly producing them in conjunction with the Bf109, of even replacing it. The rationale was that the small airframe of the 109 was unable to take full advantage of the the increasing power of the avilable enginves. The Centuro and Veltro were rated as very good, the Saggitario excellent. At the end of the day it was the long construction time that made the Luftwaffe stick with the Gustav even though they realised the 109 was pretty much at the end of its design life.

I believe the Lufwaffe tested all these Italian fighters with a view to possibly producing them in conjunction with the Bf109, of even replacing it. The rationale was that the small airframe of the 109 was unable to take full advantage of the the increasing power of the avilable enginves. The Centuro and Veltro were rated as very good, the Saggitario excellent. At the end of the day it was the long construction time that made the Luftwaffe stick with the Gustav even though they realised the 109 was pretty much at the end of its design life.

The results of the Rechlin tests of the Serie 5 in '42 found the Centauro to be the best overall both for its capabilities and relative ease of production, but it still took 3 times the man hours compared to a Bf 109G, and the Re.2005 while slightly better as a fighter took even longer than the Fiat to build. Luftwaffe II.Gruppe of JG 77 post-Armistice got a few C.205V's in late 1943 and was reportedly displeased with unreliable radios and with how long the Macchis took to rearm.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back