Post war Spitfires

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sweb

Senior Airman
Feb 5, 2009
Florida
Can someone advise me what marks of Spitfire the RAF was operating in active inventory between 1950-1952?

Thanks,

Joe

the PR XIX is a definite, and the Mk.XVIII (and possibly late XIV?) was used in Malaya. Mks. 22 and 24 were used in Hong Kong and I think Singapore, possibly the Mk.21 aswell.

Unfortunately my knowledge of post war RAF operations is very limited, so I can't give you anything more definite.

And not to forget the Seafires. There were definitely Mk. 47 and most likely some earlier types, probably all Griffon engine variants. I'll have do dig a little.

Krabat

Interesting topic, I was able to find some information online.

Taken from The Spitfire - An Operational History - 9. The Post-War years

In the UK the F.22 was confined to the Royal Auxiliary Air Force (RAuxAF). In July 1950 it was still being operated by 602,603,610,613,614 and 615 Squadrons. By April 1951 only two RAuxAF squadrons retained the F.22 and these were retired from service in the next few months. The only front line squadron equipped with F.22s was 73 Squadron. They had them in Malta in 1947 but It think they reequipped with Vampires, Cyprus September 1948.

The only RAF squadron to operate the F.24 was 80 Squadron which began to receive them in January 1948 when they were part of the BAFO in Germany. In July they were posted to Hong Kong. In January 1952 they reequipped with DH Hornets. Some of the F.24s were passed to Royal Hong Kong Auxiliary Air Force.

Two batches of three Mk XIXs were maintained for the Meteorological Flight, these weren't retired until 1957 when Mosquitos took over the role

Recently heard from the old man that a relative of mine was the man who painted the words 'the last!' on the PR.XIX that performed the last Spitfire flight!
I want to contact him about it, as apparently he passed on some photos taken at the time for me - which the old man has LOST!!!!!!!

The last 'operational' flight by a Spitfire belonging to the RAF (ie not as part of the BBMF) was by a PR XIX at Binbrook in 1963 in combat excercises against RAF Lightnings to formulate tactics that might be used against Indonesian P-51's, a confrontation which eventually never happened, but I expect the trials were immense fun!.

Thanks for the information. My own knowledge of the post war period sucks. There's a business acquaintance of mine who flew with the RAF in the years I'm asking about. I want to build the correct Mark and send it to him unannounced. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread