Priming resin (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Migrant

Senior Airman
Aug 7, 2008
Calgary AB
Installing a resin Aires cockpit in the Revell 1/32 Eurofrighter I'm building. I washed the resin thoroughly with soap and water, then primed it with Gunze resin-primer before airbrushing the parts with Tamiya acrylics. I come to flat coat it, and the air from the brush blows the paint off in huge chunks, right back to the bare resin.
Shrugs.gif
Any suggestions on how to make paint stick to resin?

Strange one. I've only used a few resin accessories, but have never had this problem. I normally use a light grey enamel (Humbrol) as a primer, mostly brushed on, depending on the part, and then the colour coat is also enamel (don't like acrylics), followed by the required clear coat mixed from Future and Tamiya Flat Base.
Sounds like the primer being used isn't 'keying' well onto the resin. Maybe try an ordinary enamel as a primer, ensuring the washed parts are thoroughly rinsed and dried first?

Thanks Terry. I don't think it's an enamel v acrylic topcoat issue, as clearly it's the primer itself that's not adhering. The resin was thoroughly dry when I painted it. I'll try an enamel basecoat as you suggested, rather than the lacquer-based Gunze product. Lacquer's great on polystyrene because it melts into the plastic but obviously the same doesn't apply to resin.

I've done one or two resin parts. As I recall the part needed to be scrubbed THROUGHLY using Dawn dishwashing liquid to remove mold release compounds/dust.
Second, I was told that model-type primers do not have the solvent properties to cut through any release compounds still left. Use Krylon spray grey primer, light coat, and allow to THROUGHLY dry, 1-2 hours

Mike, I've been using Tamiya primer on most of my projects and the few resin parts I've done with this have had no problems at all. This is a lacquer based primer so that could explain it.

I use Westley's on the white boat deck and it does wonders with stains, don't know about parts cleaning though. Krylon is also a lacquer. I was told that product such as Krylon have more powerful solvents than do the model primers. Different companies different mold release compounds?? Try the Krylon its cheap $2 for 16oz spray can at Walmart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back