Project Lysander

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In the book War Pilot the author, who flew P-38's in WWII, was told to take his crew and their H-19 helicopter from AK back to the Sikorsky factory for modifications. It was winter and flying as far south as possible was preferable; they were told they could choose their own route. So they went down the coast to southern Calif and then through the southern US and back up the East coast to CT. It took them a while to do it and when they arrived at the Sikorsky plant were congratulated and presented with an award for having made the longest helicopter trip in history.

I think I would have been insane by then.

In the book War Pilot the author, who flew P-38's in WWII, was told to take his crew and their H-19 helicopter from AK back to the Sikorsky factory for modifications. It was winter and flying as far south as possible was preferable; they were told they could choose their own route. So they went down the coast to southern Calif and then through the southern US and back up the East coast to CT. It took them a while to do it and when they arrived at the Sikorsky plant were congratulated and presented with an award for having made the longest helicopter trip in history.

These are my kind of aviation stories.

The first non stop helicopter transatlantic fight following the Lindberg flight path was in 1967.
A Sikorsky HH-3.
It took just a few hours less than Lindberg, and 9 inflight refuelings .

Winkle Brown and his colleague A. Martindale were just handed the manual the Sikorsky A4B to and told to get on with flying them.

Hmm, helicopters.
Anything where the wing(s) fly faster than the fuselage ( and only one retaining nut !!) just can't be right - ask Karl about his favourite aircraft, the Wessex !!

Hmm, helicopters.
Anything where the wing(s) fly faster than the fuselage ( and only one retaining nut !!) just can't be right - ask Karl about his favourite aircraft, the Wessex !!
I think the average speed of the wings is similar to the average speed of other parts of the contraption, on average, generally speaking, in most cases.

Winkle Brown and his colleague A. Martindale were just handed the manual the Sikorsky A4B to and told to get on with flying them.

Yes, they were supposed to attend the Helicopter Pilot school but first they had to go get those from the Americans and fly them back to their base.

The H-5 like the one as seen in Bridges At Toko Ri was quite limited in capability. On occasions in Korea they had to leave the "observer/medic" on the ground in the combat area in order to be able to fly the wounded back to the MASH unit they supported. And the author of War Pilot supported a MASH unit with a surgeon nicknamed Hawkeye.

A friend of mine who was in the USAAF at the end of WWII said that he and another guy watched one of the first helicopters take off after which the guy said to him, "I would not be too scared to fly in one of those, but I would be too embarrassed."

Yes, they were supposed to attend the Helicopter Pilot school but first they had to go get those from the Americans and fly them back to their base.

The H-5 like the one as seen in Bridges At Toko Ri was quite limited in capability. On occasions in Korea they had to leave the "observer/medic" on the ground in the combat area in order to be able to fly the wounded back to the MASH unit they supported. And the author of War Pilot supported a MASH unit with a surgeon nicknamed Hawkeye.

A friend of mine who was in the USAAF at the end of WWII said that he and another guy watched one of the first helicopters take off after which the guy said to him, "I would not be too scared to fly in one of those, but I would be too embarrassed."
To me it just shows how special those people were, how many pilots could go from fixed wing to flying a helicopter across country just by reading a manual and playing about at hovering?

At one time the USAF was looking into having ejection seats turn into a powered gyrocopter, so the pilot could fly at least part of the way back, or at least to a safer area to be picked up.

Going back to the OP - I have reservations about this concept. In my experience in dealing with the USAF and tail dragger aircraft/ operations, unless they dedicate a serious and comprehensive training program for pilots who will fly these "featherweight airlift missions" and fully understand operational risks, I see this ending in disaster. I think those who came up with this at the Air Force Research Laboratory were enamored with seeing the STOL performance of the Super and Top Cub and probably think that some of the feats accomplished by these aircraft can be done easily.

I recall a video I saw on TV when I lived in CA. A man had bought a Hughes 269 and was getting lessons. One day he was waiting for his instructor and decided to just hover a bit. Pretty quickly he knocked off the tail rotor and things went downhill VERY fast after that. The person with the videocamera dropped it and ran, so we did not get to see all the pieces flying around.

I recall a video I saw on TV when I lived in CA. A man had bought a Hughes 269 and was getting lessons. One day he was waiting for his instructor and decided to just hover a bit. Pretty quickly he knocked off the tail rotor and things went downhill VERY fast after that. The person with the videocamera dropped it and ran, so we did not get to see all the pieces flying around.

I've got about 90 hours in a Hughes 269/TH-55.
They're not the easiest chopper to fly, and hovering is about the hardest part of rotary flight to master.
If you lose the tail rotor while hovering, the cure is to cut the power and plant the skids immediately, otherwise you're in deep dodo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back