Propeller Design

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

You are EXACTLY right! The propeller is only at its maximum efficiency at one one speed for a given pitch. There are three modes for which a change-speed gear-box is desired but the one case that generated the most intensive development activity concerned the USAAF's determination at the close of the 1930's that a bespoke, ultra-high output (5,000-8,000Hp) 'bomber engine' was required for super-heavy, long (very long!) range bombers and transports. These engines would typically have low specific outputs due to their huge displacements so they required maximum thrust for take-off and climb-out but once settled in at cruise altitude the power gear-ratio was simply too high to maintain propeller rpm's once the engine was throttled back to lowest sfc point on the rpm range so a second optimal gear ratio was necessary (torque to spare!). Blade pitch change was still available on both ratios. gear-box fabrication was undertaken by Merz Engineering, Ohio. For further details, consult GOOGLE patents, Wright's designs at least, are there.
So if I read this correct, the propellers are variable pitch, it is the engine that has a gear box so the propeller will operate in its most efficient RPM. So it is the engine has a TWO SPEED propeller output shaft, so the propeller itself is not TWO SPEED, it is just the engine/powerplant, is this correct. If so your posting about engine design in a propeller design post. It is an interesting subject though. The largest diameter propellers that I have worked on are only 17 feet in diameter from a L-1649.

I really appreciate the knowledge and responses in this thread. As an "apprentice assistant propeller repairman" for three years (!963-65) in the USAF reserve, I was amazed at the condition of the balls in the first teardown I witnessed of a prop from our C-119. The many small flats on the balls left it not a true sphere. Prior to the USAF, I only had some knowledge of fixed pitch two blade metal or wood props on light planes. Again thanks for everyone's explanations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back