Propeller Design

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

So if I read this correct, the propellers are variable pitch, it is the engine that has a gear box so the propeller will operate in its most efficient RPM. So it is the engine has a TWO SPEED propeller output shaft, so the propeller itself is not TWO SPEED, it is just the engine/powerplant, is this correct. If so your posting about engine design in a propeller design post. It is an interesting subject though. The largest diameter propellers that I have worked on are only 17 feet in diameter from a L-1649.

I really appreciate the knowledge and responses in this thread. As an "apprentice assistant propeller repairman" for three years (!963-65) in the USAF reserve, I was amazed at the condition of the balls in the first teardown I witnessed of a prop from our C-119. The many small flats on the balls left it not a true sphere. Prior to the USAF, I only had some knowledge of fixed pitch two blade metal or wood props on light planes. Again thanks for everyone's explanations.

Users who are viewing this thread