I thought docile handling was the ease at which a plane could be flown especially in adverse conditions.
That's a pretty good description.
With regard to a carrier borne aircraft it may or may not be in combat with the enemy, it always has to be landed back on the carrier. Over the course of naval combat with carriers I believe more planes have been destroyed by the ship that carried them than the enemy in carrier operations
Or the ocean...
In general three things aren't readily found in performance statistics:
- Control harmonization. An aircraft with disparate forces required for pitch, yaw, and roll will be less pleasant and more tiring to fly
- Departure characteristics. An aircraft that gives a predictable warning near stall and can be recovered quickly will be easier to fly in combat.
- Dynamic behavior, that is how quickly the aircraft accelerates in roll (especially), pitch, and yaw
I know I might get into splitting hairs, but to be clear -- with dynamic behavior -- you mean how quickly it takes for a plane to build up a pitch-rate/g-load; a roll-rate, and yaw-rate?
Along the same lines, ideally, one would want a very high peak Coefficient of Lift for lower stall speeds, and very little migration of the center of lift so that the aeroplane behaves in a predictable fashion.
Some aircraft have more of a shift in the center of pressure during stalls?
I believe also that "control modulation" or the relationship of aircraft response to control inputs is a factor that is very important but also not often mentioned. Certain aircraft can be held at a certain G-Load without difficulty while others are much less precise and will constantly overshoot or undershoot the target.
Along with control forces, there is also the relationship of the movement of the stick to the response of the aircraft.
These two kind of go hand in hand and has to do with both predictable inputs to maneuvers, and muscle memory...
Control coupling also tends to result in less than predictable behaviour but only tends to get mentioned with more modern high performance aircraft.
From what I remember there was roll/yaw coupling and that occurred at higher AoA with aircraft that had short wings, a long fuselage, and a lot of mass in the middle right?
"predictable behaviour" must surely count as an intangible when you're fatigued and or wounded.
Agreed
Handling around stall (F6F and Bf 109 excelled at this, ailerons remained effective through the stall)
Good point, and I'd also put the ability to recover quickly from a stall...
Sensitivity in trim to speed changes (most WWII fighters were VERY speed sensitive, not the Fw 190)
I'm confused -- thought that was a good trait in the Fw-190?
5) Ergonomics of cockpit (how easy is it to get to and use the various gauges and switches)
The P-51 was very good in that regard -- the cockpit was laid out in an intuitive manner that was easy to use. The F-15 was also well regarded in this role (though one that flew a great deal later), the F-105 had some areas that left a lot to be desired (though also a design well after WWII, though before the F-15), when it came to switching the gunsight from air-to-ground to air-to-air.
Ease of handling the powerplant (easy to set for good power without much thought or time)
Yeah the LaGG-5 had a whole bunch of levers that were needed to fine tune the engine. The Fw-190 used some kind of electro-mechanical computer. On a more simple level, some aircraft had automatic boost control, and others didn't.
Actually there were many types of gunsights. The ring-n-bead, the reflector, and there was the lead-computing optical sight. I'm not sure if any fighters had (early on) a gunsight that was like a scope...
Convergent or nonconvergent armament (guns in nose or wings)
That gave the P-38 a great advantage at range.
Cockpit comfort (heater at high altitudes, fresh air inlets, seat ergonomics)
Fresh-air inlets avoid recycling the air, right? I'd also think variables such as raising the pilots feet to increase g-tolerance as a useful trait.
11) Landing gear issues (tippy or rolley on ground … see Bf 109: very rolley, will NOT nose over, and Spitfire, not very rolley, but noses over easily ... Griffon unit)
Wheelbarrowing...
Ram air or not (Hellcat did not have it, Corsair did. MANY Corsairs went in around carrier from carb ice in cooler weather, no Hellcats did)
It can be an advantage and disadvantage. No ram-air reduces the odds of ice-forming in the intake, but high ram-compression also provides you with a greatly increased aircraft critical altitude.
Reliable powerplant or not
I'd have placed that up with the ease of handling the powerplant.
CORSNING said:
dive speed. That one is going
to be a rough one because maximum allowable indicated
changed with altitude.
At higher altitudes the limit is often that of mach number and compressibility effects; at lower altitudes the airspeed limit becomes more serious of a matter. I would also consider dive-acceleration to be a trait that could be good or bad.
Good: I can dive away from somebody real fast, even if he has the same maximum airspeed and maximum mach number as me; like wise if the situation is reversed, I can run him down effectively.
Bad: If I have a lower mach limit, and I accelerate really fast, I can quickly end up in mach-tuck territory, and find myself unable to get out of a dive.
Combat Speed is a range of maximum possible speeds that an aircraft can develop for the conduct of active maneuver aerial battle, and at which all forms of maneuver attendant to that battle can be executed.
Is this connected to corner-velocity?