Question on EZ Masks (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mr. Ed

Airman 1st Class
Oct 27, 2009
You know those EZ masks that are meant for canopy frames? I've never used them before, but recently bought a few of them for the kit's I'm working on (Tamyia's 1/48th Wildcat, Hasegawa's 1/72 Marauder and G3M Nell, since I know you're wondering). Have any of you ever used them? If so, what should I expect? What's the best way to use them? I assume that you have to line them up perfectly before applying them because they would be difficult to impossible to adjust once they're on the model?

I really like them, and saves a lot of time making them yourselves, or tapping the frames. I had a Brewster Buffalo and the bottom window had something like 20 separate masks to attach. Once you put them on, they could be moved around. I did not press down hard on them until it was were I wanted it to be. Not sure about yours, but I had to cut mine out but at least I had the lines to follow. Good luck!

David

I'm not sure what the advantage of them would be if you had to cut them out yourself. After all, aren't they supposed to do that work for you? Mine are from Eduard, and I'm pretty sure they're pre-cut.

Thanks.

I've used several of the Eduard Masks and they were all pre-cut as well. What I've found is that on reasonably flat or fairly gently curved surfaces, they go on and STAY on well. But if you using them over a curved surface that's close to 90 degrees, even if it's rounded off, that they will NOT stay down on both sides of the curve. The adhesive isn't strong enough I think. I've ended up having to cut them down the center of the curvature and make sure each end stays down and then tape the center cut line with masking tape.

Sounds like they're "low tack". Not a bad thing when it comes to avoiding residue, but it sounds like it could cause problems in some situations. Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back