AspiringHowardHughes
Airman
- 70
- Nov 26, 2025
A.H.H here again, back to pick the brains of this forum. There is no common topic here, nor much in the way of logical progression between questions.
Be warned - this is quite a wordy installment.
Same format as my previous posts, I am sure everyone knows the drill by now.
1: What factors influence the designer's choice of compression distribution between the pre-compression system (supercharger/turbocharger) and the engine cylinder itself? Do the different general balances selected by each nation (and where in that range each engine lies) represent different priorities with respect to the desired performance of the engine, or is there a truly ideal theoretical setup that each real-life effort tries to approach?
2: How does the above question apply to diesel engines? Similarly, are advancements in pre-compression systems (variable-speed drives, additional stages, turbocharger installations, inter/intracoolers....) more or less critical for diesel applications? Unfortunately, I do not have much data on the few diesel aero engines that saw service.
3: Would an engine design involving a tunnel crankcase (and thus likely a homogenous cylinder block for both banks) be viable in the context of WW2 aircraft? If not, why and by what margin?
4: What was the limiting factor on engine RPM, and how did it differ between engines? Candidates I can think of off the top of my head include piston/connecting rod/crankshaft stress, valve workload, the irrelevance of increased speed if proper breathing cannot be maintained, and diminishing returns as frictional losses increase. Were the limitations imposed by these "performance ceilings" (particularly the latter three) considered during the genesis of WW2 aero engines, or were they seen as not being of any relevance because speeds were nowhere near high enough to bring them into play?
5: What is the ideal configuration for cockpit controls and instruments? I suggest responding with a plane that you think executed things pretty well in this way (and why) or describing an ideal layout of your own design (and why it is ideal). Additionally, what gripes did pilots have about the layouts of certain planes or cock[it design trends within the industry? As someone who was nowhere close to being born at the time, I obviously have no dog in this long-finished race, but I particularly detest the "clock-type" altimeters I see in my various games and historical books. I am not clock-illiterate by any means, but I cannot stand the idea of a singular value being represented by two distinct pieces of information. Having watched a few videos on the subject recently, the design of the compasses of the era also bothers me - though this is likely more a result of technological limitations than anything. I am particularly interested to hear from those who are pilots of any sort, and see how preferences are formed and differ.
6: Being on fire tends to reduce the combat effectiveness of an aircraft - Me 163 and derivatives aside. Besides self-sealing tanks, what means of avoiding fire is preferable, and why? Options include neutral-gas pressurization systems, bladder-style contracting tanks, fire-suppression systems, or simply building things stoutly and hoping for the best.
7: Obviously there is no definite tipping point after which the aerodynamics of a plane are "good enough", but at what point are additional improvements not worth the trouble? For example, I recently thought of separating the landing gear bay fairings from the gear itself, so that they could be closed again once the gear is deployed so as to preserve airflow around the wing at an especially critical time for lift-generation and good stall characteristics (landing the plane). I am not aware of any WW2 aircraft that did this, but surely it could have reduced the required size of wing by improving wing performance during the "limiting factor" of winged flight. Do I overestimate the benefit this could have produced, or are there other reasons against this idea? I may make a separate post detailing a number of similar concepts I have come up with.
8: To what degree were the logistics of moving the aircraft around (without flying it) considered during the design process? As a designer I am always tempted to prescribe features like continuous wing spars and non-folding wings, even on aircraft destined for carriers - in fact I have had an idea of this sort which may also receive a post of its own in the coming days. Having watched videos of aircraft being unpacked and assembled after "crossing the pond", it seems there is a great deal of compartmentalization. This makes sense when intercontinental shipping is considered, but were aircraft produced in-theatre any less modular? It seems to me that there would be a great deal of performance to be gained by using monolithic parts rather than an assortment of material and fasteners. Alternatively, was this a concession to maintenance personnel?
9: I am sure we have all heard of the archaic construction of the Fairey Swordfish, and can agree that string and cloth are not the tools of the forward-thinking designer. That being said, just because a construction technique fell out of favour does not mean it is obsolete. A properly-designed monocoque fuselage is arguably the greatest option for performance, yet I am not aware of any planes (even wonder-weapon aircraft) to use this construction technique and eclipse the run-of-the-mill fighters of the day. Was stress analysis not up to the task? Similarly, is it true that the advanced geodetic airframe of the Wellington (and associated aircraft) only went unadopted because of the difficulty of tooling up for it? I so often hear that people were "trying everything" to increase the performance of their aircraft, going so far as to devise whole new engine systems in the process - why was airframe design left out of these desperate searches?
10: Last but not least, what would you all like to hear more of? I have far too much time on my hands and I am inclined to take things in a direction that will be to the enjoyment of everyone. In the coming weeks I hope to finish ironing out a hypothetical WW2 aircraft of my own design, and improve my sleeve-rotary valve concept that was the subject of an earlier post - it may be evident that some questions I ask with those goals in mind!
As always, explanatory images are available upon request.
-A.H.H
Be warned - this is quite a wordy installment.
Same format as my previous posts, I am sure everyone knows the drill by now.
1: What factors influence the designer's choice of compression distribution between the pre-compression system (supercharger/turbocharger) and the engine cylinder itself? Do the different general balances selected by each nation (and where in that range each engine lies) represent different priorities with respect to the desired performance of the engine, or is there a truly ideal theoretical setup that each real-life effort tries to approach?
2: How does the above question apply to diesel engines? Similarly, are advancements in pre-compression systems (variable-speed drives, additional stages, turbocharger installations, inter/intracoolers....) more or less critical for diesel applications? Unfortunately, I do not have much data on the few diesel aero engines that saw service.
3: Would an engine design involving a tunnel crankcase (and thus likely a homogenous cylinder block for both banks) be viable in the context of WW2 aircraft? If not, why and by what margin?
4: What was the limiting factor on engine RPM, and how did it differ between engines? Candidates I can think of off the top of my head include piston/connecting rod/crankshaft stress, valve workload, the irrelevance of increased speed if proper breathing cannot be maintained, and diminishing returns as frictional losses increase. Were the limitations imposed by these "performance ceilings" (particularly the latter three) considered during the genesis of WW2 aero engines, or were they seen as not being of any relevance because speeds were nowhere near high enough to bring them into play?
5: What is the ideal configuration for cockpit controls and instruments? I suggest responding with a plane that you think executed things pretty well in this way (and why) or describing an ideal layout of your own design (and why it is ideal). Additionally, what gripes did pilots have about the layouts of certain planes or cock[it design trends within the industry? As someone who was nowhere close to being born at the time, I obviously have no dog in this long-finished race, but I particularly detest the "clock-type" altimeters I see in my various games and historical books. I am not clock-illiterate by any means, but I cannot stand the idea of a singular value being represented by two distinct pieces of information. Having watched a few videos on the subject recently, the design of the compasses of the era also bothers me - though this is likely more a result of technological limitations than anything. I am particularly interested to hear from those who are pilots of any sort, and see how preferences are formed and differ.
6: Being on fire tends to reduce the combat effectiveness of an aircraft - Me 163 and derivatives aside. Besides self-sealing tanks, what means of avoiding fire is preferable, and why? Options include neutral-gas pressurization systems, bladder-style contracting tanks, fire-suppression systems, or simply building things stoutly and hoping for the best.
7: Obviously there is no definite tipping point after which the aerodynamics of a plane are "good enough", but at what point are additional improvements not worth the trouble? For example, I recently thought of separating the landing gear bay fairings from the gear itself, so that they could be closed again once the gear is deployed so as to preserve airflow around the wing at an especially critical time for lift-generation and good stall characteristics (landing the plane). I am not aware of any WW2 aircraft that did this, but surely it could have reduced the required size of wing by improving wing performance during the "limiting factor" of winged flight. Do I overestimate the benefit this could have produced, or are there other reasons against this idea? I may make a separate post detailing a number of similar concepts I have come up with.
8: To what degree were the logistics of moving the aircraft around (without flying it) considered during the design process? As a designer I am always tempted to prescribe features like continuous wing spars and non-folding wings, even on aircraft destined for carriers - in fact I have had an idea of this sort which may also receive a post of its own in the coming days. Having watched videos of aircraft being unpacked and assembled after "crossing the pond", it seems there is a great deal of compartmentalization. This makes sense when intercontinental shipping is considered, but were aircraft produced in-theatre any less modular? It seems to me that there would be a great deal of performance to be gained by using monolithic parts rather than an assortment of material and fasteners. Alternatively, was this a concession to maintenance personnel?
9: I am sure we have all heard of the archaic construction of the Fairey Swordfish, and can agree that string and cloth are not the tools of the forward-thinking designer. That being said, just because a construction technique fell out of favour does not mean it is obsolete. A properly-designed monocoque fuselage is arguably the greatest option for performance, yet I am not aware of any planes (even wonder-weapon aircraft) to use this construction technique and eclipse the run-of-the-mill fighters of the day. Was stress analysis not up to the task? Similarly, is it true that the advanced geodetic airframe of the Wellington (and associated aircraft) only went unadopted because of the difficulty of tooling up for it? I so often hear that people were "trying everything" to increase the performance of their aircraft, going so far as to devise whole new engine systems in the process - why was airframe design left out of these desperate searches?
10: Last but not least, what would you all like to hear more of? I have far too much time on my hands and I am inclined to take things in a direction that will be to the enjoyment of everyone. In the coming weeks I hope to finish ironing out a hypothetical WW2 aircraft of my own design, and improve my sleeve-rotary valve concept that was the subject of an earlier post - it may be evident that some questions I ask with those goals in mind!
As always, explanatory images are available upon request.
-A.H.H