R-2800 for fighters: how would've you done it?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The Rainbow is indeed a most interesting aircraft, but I think the Tempest II is a good example of proper attention to engine installation drag. It was faster than the F8F with minimal increase in power with 24 % larger wing plus heavier airframe. Another good example is the La-7.

Another good comparison: Tempest II vs. any model of the P-47 at sea level. Closely similar wing areas, yet with settings giving similar power, the former is very much faster.

To add something to the comparisons: The Bearcat used the 23000 series wing (18% thick at root, correct me if I'm wrong), contrary to the thin and the laminar flow (as possible back then) wing the Tempest used. The Tempest II also used individual exhaust stacks, unlike the Bearcat, so the Tempest should have more exhaust thrust?
Neither F4U nor F6F were good at harvesting the exhaust thrust, either.

The P-47 will benefit next to nothing from the exhaust thrust, and wing of the Tempest was far less draggy item. So on the same prop HP, there is no doubt the Tempest II will be much faster.

Engine in a Bearcat:

8685500896_44b8b7a422_z.jpg

Some exhaust thrust. Better than an early F4U and perhaps F6F but not as good as the Tempest?

Please note that some of the exhaust systems were used to draw air through the cowl at certain speeds instead of using a fan.

5983041235_5b0020ed68_z.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back