Radial and Inline engines are backwards?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, then O Enlightened One, please tell us, what's the ONLY logical numbering system for radial and in-line engines?
The exact way that the american engines where numbered is correct. For a V8 SBC engine, the way they are numbered is correct. The way the Chevrolet Corvair engine is numbered is correct. If others follow that they are also correct.

Wow! what a wast of peoples time.
Lets have a history lesson:
First engines were built in Germany, Then England, US, France, Italy, and soon everyone was building.
Then we went from cars to airplanes with a huge number of manufactures making engines. Now add in the fact that all the early companies made their own hardware and supplied tools for the engines.
That made standards for hardware and tools a real necessity.
So then we had AN in the US, British standard in the UK and DIN in Germany.
However the numbering of cylinders started in Germany so they must be correct and everyone else in wrong. Of course Daimler Benz, BMW and Junkers all used different terms for aircraft engine parts so maybe we will have to go with DB as the final answer to all this.
Mike
Anything to do with getting online and forums is a waste of time. Gives us old guys something to do. If I lived closer I'd waste some of that time at your place for free.

The exact way that the american engines where numbered is correct. For a V8 SBC engine, the way they are numbered is correct. The way the Chevrolet Corvair engine is numbered is correct. If others follow that they are also correct.
Which would be? And why is it the only correct numbering?
Also, the numbering on a V engine has nothing to do with radial cylinder numbering, so why were these numbered 'backwards'?

I'm not into cars at all, so to quite honest, I don't care what the automotive worlds does.

Last edited:
Which would be? And why is it the only correct numbering?
Also, the numbering on a V engine has nothing to do with radial cylinder numbering, so why were these numbered 'backwards'?

I'm not into cars at all, so to quite honest, I don't care what the automotive worlds does.
Recip engines are engines, car engines end up in airplanes, airplane engines end up in cars. I covered why in previous posts.

Recip engines are engines, car engines end up in airplanes, airplane engines end up in cars. I covered why in previous posts.
I didn't realise that engines were interviewed about their emotional needs, whether going for the aero engine or auto option is best for their development.

There actually are some V-6 engines with a 123456 firing order.
First time I saw that I thought, "that's gotta be a misprint ".
GM 3.1 is one. And the cylinder numbering is correct on it as well.
Mike N from Vintage V12's is correct, there are some that know the mechanics have twisted the wrenches on the stuff and some that have not.

Last edited:
So, what's hte correct numbering method for a radial? Since you said it was 'backwards' in your first post.

I've never seen a piston rotary engine in a car...

So, what's hte correct numbering method for a radial? Since you said it was 'backwards' in your first post.

I've never seen a piston rotary engine in a car...
Here ya go!
radial-engined-pickup-735x413.jpg

Of course it is a radial and not a rotary engine :)

sometimes my google fu is strong and sometimes it is weak :)

But an time somebody says they never saw something, try googling it.
Somebody, somewhere, sometime has probably built one just so they could say they did.
Like steam powered "motor" cycles.

They don't have to make sense.

Airplane engines in cars have a long history.

sometimes my google fu is strong and sometimes it is weak :)

But an time somebody says they never saw something, try googling it.
Somebody, somewhere, sometime has probably built one just so they could say they did.
Like steam powered "motor" cycles.

They don't have to make sense.

Airplane engines in cars have a long history.
It is how quickly you come up with a pic to explain your point, you have to know what you are looking for first lol

No place did I say the numbering was back wards for a radial or the inlines, I said they were correct. The only radial installation that is correct for cylinder numbering is the B36. Since the power take off end is to the rear. The installation with props to the front means the engine is installed back wards.
And that is represented by how the engineers numbered the cylinders. On a hydro plane the engines are installed correctly as well. Pretty simple stuff to see. Any recip engine other than a small single cylinder job, the power take off is always the rear, there may be some minor exceptions but in general most always the case. All multi row radials the first row is in the rear of the installed position, or the row closest to the accessory section, an R4360
Row A is in that position, Row D is close to the propeller, yeah just backwards from the installation position in the aircraft.

The Merlin was mounted the way it was intended in the Spitfire, Mustang, et al, with the output shaft and #1 cylinder to the front of the aircraft, therefore they were mounted the right way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back