Radial and Inline engines are backwards?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yep, not a Rotary... Seen that pic before, and there's one in a motorcycle too.
Still haven't seen one of those fitted to a car/truck. Gyro forces would make it crazy to drive!
Not if you drive slowly, and then you have people running alongside asking why you went to the trouble.

Not to mention the price tag for 110hp!
I no longer follow "stuff" closely but Barry Sheene had 110BHP on his 500cc motorbike, I am sure they could get that from 3-400cc today. Instead of having a huge motor, you could make a custom car where no one knows where the engine is.

I guess I should have said US engines, since the Merlin is numbered from the prop end. How many other Brit engines, and other country's do that?

Think of the relief you could bring to scores of constipation sufferers as your rotary powered car spews several gallons of castor oil into the air along the road per hour:)
I always considered it to be a backward step when the waterproofing of vehicles and passengers was taken out of the scope of work

In the early 20th century there were several cars powered by rotary engines.
Adam Farwell produced about 200, 3 and 5 cylinder rotary powered cars.
Then there's the 19th century Millet motorcycle, with a rotary engine for a back wheel. And later the Megola motorcycle with a rotary engine in it's front wheel.

Now these are vertical, and sideways mounted rotary engines.
I wonder how their cylinders would be numbered.

In the early 20th century there were several cars powered by rotary engines.
Adam Farwell produced about 200, 3 and 5 cylinder rotary powered cars.
Then there's the 19th century Millet motorcycle, with a rotary engine for a back wheel. And later the Megola motorcycle with a rotary engine in it's front wheel.

Now these are vertical, and sideways mounted rotary engines.
I wonder how their cylinders would be numbered.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5.....

Do rotaries have a master cylinder, or rod, like radials ?
So that would probably be #1.
Then there were 2 row rotaries.

Do rotaries have a master cylinder, or rod, like radials ?
So that would probably be #1.
Then there were 2 row rotaries.
Yep, here's a short video of the internals.

Not sure I'd like to be too close to this...
flaming gnome.jpg

Then again there wouldn't be any chance of people not seeing you...

I always was fascinated by early engines.
When I was a teenager the first guy I worked for had a rotary engine in his barn.
I didn't know enough then to id exactly which rotary it was, just that it was a WW1 era rotary.

Must have been a thrill to balance, dare have the wrong weight spark plug in one cylinder.
Not really - its only turning fairly slowly - the gnome turns at 1100 RPM, and something as small as a spark plug is a very small percentage of the whole weight, so I don't think it would make much difference.

But you've got me thinking now... I'll ask Tony how they get on with the Gnomes when he gets back from Oshkosh.

Not really - its only turning fairly slowly - the gnome turns at 1100 RPM, and something as small as a spark plug is a very small percentage of the whole weight, so I don't think it would make much difference.

But you've got me thinking now... I'll ask Tony how they get on with the Gnomes when he gets back from Oshkosh.
If you had one you could just leave one plug out and see how bad it could be, or maybe just try it with a tire on your car, that will show you how critical dynamic balance is.

If you had one you could just leave one plug out and see how bad it could be, or maybe just try it with a tire on your car, that will show you how critical dynamic balance is.
Much easier to ask the guy who makes them....
I do know, however that he's running automotive spark plugs in them, so there isn't such a thing as a 'wrong weight spark plug'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back