RAF gunsight use in USAAF a/c

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Kingscoy

Senior Airman
Jan 19, 2008
The Netherlands
www.arga-nl.nl
Hello,

I have a question regarding the (regular) use of the RAF MkII reflector gunsight in USAAF P-47D's.
Does anyone know what reason could be for the use of the RAF MkII sight instead of the standard USAAF Mk8 gunsight? Of course the pilots preference but what was the technical reason....because I have quit a few photo's which shows the MkII in use, so I guess the switch was made quit frequently.

For any help many thanks.

Kind regards from Holland,
Sander

The one ring N-3 reflector gunsights in the P-51, 47 and 38 were found to have significant error in even beam shots. 8th AF repleced them first in the P-47 with the RAF MkII, then the similar USN Mk VIII.

The P-38s, 51B's used the N-3B, then the Mk VIII or the RAF Mk II. The early 51D used the improved N-9 then all Mustangs converted to K-14 (don't recall if P-38 and P-47 did)

Hello Drgondog,
Thanks for the reply. So the use of the MkII was a somewhat regular confursion. Very interesting...didn't know that.
I know that the P-47's were fitted on production with the K-14 from January 1945. During august 1944 and after the K-14 was fitted in theatre with as many a/c as possible. From veteterans pilots I heard that in the period July/ August 1944 they would try to obtain the K-14 by any means they could.

Thanks again for the reply,

Sander

Users who are viewing this thread

Back