RAF Mitchell II and III pictures

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Neilly105

Airman
Oct 18, 2018
Hi All,

Starting research on a couple of future model projects. Both B-25 Mitchell builds in RAF service - 2nd TAF. Anyone got pictures of B-25 Mitchell II and III, preferably with D-Day markings. I'm also wondering about the upper surface green. It looks to me to be more grey/green than those B-25's in American service. What would be the Tamiya paint equivalent, for example?

Cheers,
Neil

Mitchells in RAF service were finished in Olive Drab and Neutral Gray. The OD faded quite quickly though and it's probably best to mix your own to suit.
Areas where US markings may have been originally supplied, such as 'stars and bars' and tail numbers, were painted out in RAF Dark green
I have some B&W pics i purchased from IWM some years ago, but I seem to have misplaced them !
However, here are a couple from various publications, again from IWM, now in the public domain, and more can be found by searching for 'RAF Mitchell'
I also have a thread from a couple of years ago, in one of the GBs, where I used the old 1/48th scale Revell kit to make a Mitchell II of 98 Sqn, with the waist windows - something a little different from the 'standard' Mitchell II and III - and an 'in progress' pic, plus a pic of the actual aircraft, are shown below. Note where previos markings are painted over.
I do have a number of other pics of RAF Mitchells, but they're difficult to scan without damaging the spines of the books concerned.

Mitchell colour 2..jpg
Mitchell colour..jpg
Mitchell II 98 Sqn.jpg
Mitchell Build 001.JPG

Thanks Guys - some good pics to look at. The Mitchell II seems fairly well photographed but the III is a bit more elusive.

Note that the last pic above, showing 'Grumpy', is a Mitchell II. The tarpaulin aft of the cockpit is covering the astrodome.
Good, clear pics of Mitchel IIIs actually in squadron service are relatively scarce, compared to the Mk.II

Users who are viewing this thread

Back