RAF Pilot Signatures (Battle of Britain??) (1 Viewer)

Brian Kingcome:

1771946774803.png
 
"Old German signatures are hard as the writing style is unfamiliar to us and old guys scrawling their names on hundreds of documents could not be expected to exhibit schoolboy script every time."

I'm "only" 66 this week -- and I so rarely sign my name anymore, that I find it varies quite a bit from day to day, so I can only imagine. Also interesting about the German writing style.

Since you have signed Taylor prints, do you have any thoughts on where these signatures would have been collected? It would seem to be at reunions, and over a few years. I'm in Florida, and I very much doubt it was on this side of the pond.
 
Last edited:
"Brian Kingcome:"

Yes!!! Thank you.
 
Wow. That print just keeps getting better and better. Good stuff Andy
 
This last one had me stumped -- you have nailed it!!! That might be all of them.

I'm going to make an image with each name by each signature to see if any remain. thank!!!
 
A notable absence is Douglas Bader.

Since you have signed Taylor prints, do you have any thoughts on where these signatures would have been collected? It would seem to be at reunions, and over a few years. I'm in Florida, and I very much doubt it was on this side of the pond.

The original print would have come with a set of signatures collected through an event organized by the publisher, like Aces High Gallery for instance. Anyone buying that print should have received a Certificate of Authenticity like this one on my "Assault on the Capital" print:

20260224_090824.jpg


I'm thinking that the eclectic nature of the signatures, as well as the scattered dates, likely means that the original owner of the print dragged it to various functions - air shows, book signings, etc. and got additional signatures over and above the originals where he could.
 
Nope. Still need this one and I'm still looking.

1771950125490-png.png


I was just about to ask about that -- I wondered if it was part of Galland's?

ALSO: There appears to be a signature, very light, below that -- between the pair of Walter Shucks.
 
This has been a very cool adventure in history. I love historical research (I'm an avid RC Scale modeler). I really appreciate all this help!

Here is where we are at with identifying the signatures. There appear to be two left.
 

Attachments

  • spitfire print with sigs.jpg
    spitfire print with sigs.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 44
Interesting:
according to google

"Horrido!" was the traditional battle cry of Luftwaffe fighter pilots during World War II, signifying a victory.
 
Yup, I think you're right.

The sig below that is Robert Taylor's. Now I think we are done.
 
I'm amazed -- amazed that all signatures were identified -- and amazed at how notable most of them are. Again, thank you all!

Here is an updated "key".
 

Attachments

  • bottom with signatures2.jpg
    bottom with signatures2.jpg
    321.5 KB · Views: 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back