Rainbow Bridge Explosion

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Folks may be unaware of the explosive power of gasoline/petrol. Though some get sniffy about the apparent 'danger' of EVs catching fire, the use of petrol-powered vehicles can be no less incendiary. Inventor Wilf Lunn used to do a comparison between a full Coke can fired out of a drain pipe: with a teaspoon of gunpowder it barely reached the end of the pipe. But with a teaspoon of petrol it went maybe 1/4 of a mile.

We need to remember that the same people who are trying hard to convince us that this was not terrorism are the same people who denied that the COVID-19 virus came from a lab in China. Examine the wreckage- that will tell the tale- a high explosive or not. High explosive= 30,000 ft/sec detonation wave. There are others, such as a fuel/air explosive but it is a low-velocity explosion.

We need to remember that the same people who are trying hard to convince us that this was not terrorism are the same people who denied that the COVID-19 virus came from a lab in China. Examine the wreckage- that will tell the tale- a high explosive or not. High explosive= 30,000 ft/sec detonation wave. There are others, such as a fuel/air explosive but it is a low-velocity explosion.
They used their own Bentley, a married couple from New York, it was caught on video taking off at high speed, what is the energy on impact of a two ton car at 100MPH? As a ball park figure.

I was involved in a high-speed collision.
I was traveling 50mph (80kph) and the car that hit me was estimated to be doing 60mph (96kph).
The combined impact would be as if I had struck a solid barrier at 110mph (170kph) and there was no Hollywood style pyrotechnic display.

I also drove a tow truck for about eight years in Southern California and saw countless collisions of all descriptions, including fully involved (burning) incidents - in all that time, only one wreck had an explosion. It was a 1970's Mercury Marquise that had struck a concrete barrier at high speed and it's gas tank drug along the ground as the wreckage tumbled, igniting the fuel. The result was impressive, but not spectacular.

Modern cars also have vapor recovery systems, unlike older cars, which had vented systems and were more prone to catch fire.

That being said, I still remain skeptical that this explosion was just a fuel tank igniting.

They used their own Bentley, a married couple from New York, it was caught on video taking off at high speed, what is the energy on impact of a two ton car at 100MPH? As a ball park figure.
1337172 foot-pounds

A Bently Flying Spur , depending on what powertrain options it has, is an almost 3 ton vehicle.
A hybrid gas+ lithium battery model is possible. 500-600 hp, 0-60 mph in less than 4 seconds.

I've been in the auto repair trade for over 50 years, have seen the results of several gas tank explosions.
They're not hardly as impressive as Hollywood stunts make them seem.
But I never seen one with the addition of a big lithium ion battery.

Magnesium is what was used as a igniter in napalm bombs. Just jellied gasoline, but when that magnesium burster was ignitied , all the napalm ignited at once. It was a pretty impressive sight. Of course this all happens at once when the bomb impacts the ground.

So here we have a heavy car , going airborn, impact bursting the gas tank and battery at the same time.
I see the possibility of a low order explosion, sort of like a Napalm drop.

Magnesium is what was used as a igniter in napalm bombs. Just jellied gasoline, but when that magnesium burster was ignitied , all the napalm ignited at once. It was a pretty impressive sight. Of course this all happens at once when the bomb impacts the ground.

So here we have a heavy car , going airborn, impact bursting the gas tank and battery at the same time.
I see the possibility of a low order explosion, sort of like a Napalm drop.
From the video I saw it was clearly a fuel fire, you can see a burning fluid spreading across the ground, that doesnt mean that other things werent involved in the fire, it may have hit something with fuel in it. The talk of an explosion came from initial reports, I can forgive anyone stood on a border crossing mistaking a 2-3 ton car hitting something solid at 100MPH for an explosion. If the person was stood on the same piece of concreted/ asphalted land they would also probably have felt it in their feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back