Ranger Engine

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tony Anger

Recruit
Feb 7, 2016
Hi ll...new to Ranger engines...I own a PT-26...I would like to know what type of oil most use?

The PT-26 used either the Ranger L-440-3 or the L-440-7

Assuming you have the L-440-3 since it was the more common engine, the recommended oil viscosity is Saybolt summer grade 120 sec. and Saybolt winter grade 98 sec. - this falls into the SAE 5 weight range.

Best reference is the Technical Order 02-50AA-2 (1 January 1943)

If you don't have access to the engine manual and handbook, visit this thread where I have them posted: Ranger Aircraft Engines

GrauGeist, Would you happen to have a copy of the 02-50AA-3 Overhaul Manual and -4 parts manual?

I'd be really hesitant to perform maintenance or servicing of FAA certificated aircraft using A) a manual from 1943, B) a military publication. As far as I know, part 43 dates something to the effect of, " use current, approved manufacturers tech data".
The PT-26 used either the Ranger L-440-3 or the L-440-7

Assuming you have the L-440-3 since it was the more common engine, the recommended oil viscosity is Saybolt summer grade 120 sec. and Saybolt winter grade 98 sec. - this falls into the SAE 5 weight range.

Best reference is the Technical Order 02-50AA-2 (1 January 1943)

If you don't have access to the engine manual and handbook, visit this thread where I have them posted: Ranger Aircraft Engines

I have been maintaining antique/classic aircraft for over 20 years. There are literally thousands still in use today whose latest manufacture's data is dated before 1950. Thousands of those were military and the only operation and maintenance data ever available were their Military operating and service manuals. This includes certificated military airframes and un-certificated military airframes (these usually carry a special "Experimental-Exhibition" airworthiness certificate. Some examples are the Harvard IV, was a T-6G converted both here & in Canada to a Harvard IV Instrument trainer. No standard airworthiness certificate available for it thus it gets certified in this country as an "Experimental-Exhibition" aircraft and is legally maintained with it's only available manuals which are Canadian Military Manuals dated 1950's. An example of a standard cerificated US aircraft in the same boat would be the L-19/O-1 series. Cessna long after production started for the military finally obtained a standard US airworthiness certificate co-naming it a Cessna 305A and 305B. There are no manuals published by Cessna for these aircraft and they are legally maintained with the applicable military manuals dated 1960 thru 1970's. So when there is not a directly applicable legal civilian publication available for these aircraft the military pub becomes the only acceptable alternative.

I have been maintaining antique/classic aircraft for over 20 years. There are literally thousands still in use today whose latest manufacture's data is dated before 1950. Thousands of those were military and the only operation and maintenance data ever available were their Military operating and service manuals. This includes certificated military airframes and un-certificated military airframes (these usually carry a special "Experimental-Exhibition" airworthiness certificate. Some examples are the Harvard IV, was a T-6G converted both here & in Canada to a Harvard IV Instrument trainer. No standard airworthiness certificate available for it thus it gets certified in this country as an "Experimental-Exhibition" aircraft and is legally maintained with it's only available manuals which are Canadian Military Manuals dated 1950's. An example of a standard cerificated US aircraft in the same boat would be the L-19/O-1 series. Cessna long after production started for the military finally obtained a standard US airworthiness certificate co-naming it a Cessna 305A and 305B. There are no manuals published by Cessna for these aircraft and they are legally maintained with the applicable military manuals dated 1960 thru 1970's. So when there is not a directly applicable legal civilian publication available for these aircraft the military pub becomes the only acceptable alternative.
Really great info. I didn't know that. I knew the rules aa really broad for aircraft certificated as an experimental I just want sure that these older manuals could be used, even do, I'd still be hesitant without researching available alternatives. Again, thanks for the info!

when there is not a directly applicable legal civilian publication available for these aircraft the military pub becomes the only acceptable alternative.

For the uninitiated that means the last edition of each manual AND includes all the minor publications current at the time the aircraft or engine was last used by the military. For an example of how many of these can exist go to this link P-51 Tech Manuals Super Post

For your engine the absolute minimum you need is below PLUS every other TO applicable to the work you are doing on the engine that was issued after this list in Dec 44. Given the engine was in use for some years after that there could be later editions and a lot more publications.

Clipb  oard01.png

If you are doing magneto, carburettor, starter, generator, etc, maintenance those publications are also required for any work not covered in the engine manual. Where there is a conflict between the component manufacturer and engine manufacturers manuals the Engine manual takes precedence in most cases. Civil component manuals are available in many cases and you need to consult your regulator in writing if there is a significant difference between the military and civil manual.

Welcome to the minefield

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back