RE: Hawker Typhoon cockpit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lee1974

Airman
Jun 1, 2020
Hi gents,

I would be very grateful if anyone could assist me with any instrument panel drawings for the Typhoon or even measurements for any of the gauges/switches etc. Information for a Hurricane or Spitfire panel would be very useful with all three sharing many of the same instruments especially the blind flying panel. I do have a drawing of a Spitfire panel but no measurements, even correct measurements for the holes for the gauges would allow me to scale the plan correctly which would go some way to achieving my goal.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated

Thanks i sent Tony a pm..

Hi gents,

I would be very grateful if anyone could assist me with any instrument panel drawings for the Typhoon or even measurements for any of the gauges/switches etc. Information for a Hurricane or Spitfire panel would be very useful with all three sharing many of the same instruments especially the blind flying panel. I do have a drawing of a Spitfire panel but no measurements, even correct measurements for the holes for the gauges would allow me to scale the plan correctly which would go some way to achieving my goal.

Any assistance would be very much appreciated

27. Pilot's Instrument Board Assy. Complete..jpg
1. Pilot Instrument Board Loom Assy..jpg

At the Jet Age Museum, we are working on an early Car Door Typhoon 1B project, and have completed the Pilot instrument panel. A pic of the panel, front and rear. There are more; but at the moment the Museum is in lockdown and I cannot access them. Email me at [email protected] and I will lookout the remainder when we re-open.

View attachment 584334View attachment 584335
At the Jet Age Museum, we are working on an early Car Door Typhoon 1B project, and have completed the Pilot instrument panel. A pic of the panel, front and rear. There are more; but at the moment the Museum is in lockdown and I cannot access them. Email me at [email protected] and I will lookout the remainder when we re-open.

Additionally for reference; the following instrument fit is employed:

Blind Flying Panel:

1. Artificial Horizon; 6A/1519, Mark 1B.
2. Rate of Climb Indicator; 6A/ 942, Mk 1B.
3. Turn and Bank/Slip Indicator; 6A/1302, MK IA.
4. Directional Heading Indicator; 6A/1297,Mk 1, or 6A/1298 Mk 1A.
5. Air Speed Indicator: 6A/1268.
6. Altimeter; 6A/1268, Mk XIV.

Starboard Pilot Instrument Board:

1. Engine Revolution Counter. (P/no: 6A/1191.)
2. Boost Gauge. (P/no: 6A/789.)
3. Fuel Gauge. (P/no: 6A/1114.)
4. Fuel Tank Selector Switch. (P/no: 5C/4198.)
5. Compass Deviation Card Holder. (P/no: 6A/387.)
6. Compass Deviation Card. (Form 316.)
7. Oil Pressure Gauge. (P/no: 6A/556.)
8. Oil Temperature Gauge. (P/no: 6A/220.)
9. Stopwatch. (P/no: 6B/221.)
10. Watch Holder. (P/no: 6A/1465.)
11. Power Failure Warning Lamp. (P/no: 5C/1553.)
12. Fuel pressure Warning Lamp. (P/no: 5C/1553.)
13. Radiator Temperature Gauge. (P/no: 6A/1313.)
14. Starboard Punkah Louvre Ventilator. (P/No: 27H/421.)
15. Downward Identification Lamp Selector Switch. (P/no: 5C/936.)
16. Downward Identification Lamp Switch Plate. (P/No: A.128673.)
17. Anti-vibration Mount x2. (P/No: A.94058.)

Port Pilot Instrument Board:

1. Undercarriage indicator switch. (P/No: 5C/1974.)
2. Magneto switch. (P/No: 5C/548.)
3. Port Punkah Louvre Ventilator (P/No: 27H/421.)
4. Triple Brake Gauge. (P/No: 6A/1443.)
5. Hydraulic pressure gauge. (No Applicable Air Ministry Reference Number.)
6. Time of Flight Clock Mk.IIB. (P/No: 6A/1072.)
7. Oxygen Regulator Mk.VIIID. (P/No: 6D/525.)
8. Undercarriage Warning Lamp. (P/no: 5C/1553.)
9. Undercarriage Position Indicator Type B. (P/No: 5C/1008.)
10. Push Switch Type B. x2. (P/No: 5C/540.)
11. Push Switch Type B. No1. (P/No: 5C/898.)
12. Push Switch Cover Type A. x2. (P/No: 5C/1267.)
13. Remote Contactor. (P/No: 10A/10995.)
14. Anti-vibration Mount x2. (P/No: A.94058.)

Gun sight Services Central Panel:

1. Port Cockpit Lamp Dimmer Switch, Type E. (P/No: 5C/724.)
2. Starboard Cockpit Lamp Dimmer Switch. Type E. (P/No: 5C/724.)
3. Compass Lamp Dimmer Switch. Type E. (P/No: 5C/724.)
4. Reflector Sight Dimmer Switch. Type L. (P/No: 5C/724.)
5. Reflector Gun sight Socket. P/No: 5C/892.)
6. Flap indicator. (P/No: A.111124.)
7. Reflector Gun sight Spare Bulb Holder. (Stores Reference:
S.B.A.C. A.S.115.)
8. MK.II Reflector Gun sight Bayonet Bulb; Crompton 24v. x3. (P/No: 5L/2014.)
9. Five-way Terminal Block. (P/No: 5C/868.)

Sorry for the late reply! Thanks much appreciated.

Hi, Lee;
Finally managed to dig out the two final Hawker original drawings for the Gun Sight Centre panel as promised.
The crossbeam is the strengthener that fits behind, and across the panel below the dimmer switch locations.
Gun sight panel.png

Crossbeam.png

Thats brilliant, can't thank you enough.

Don't forget; there is another bracket which attaches to the centre panel crossbeam to support the top mount for the blind flying panel.
I don't have a drawing or part number for this. We made ours on spec and it actually fitted OK. A photo is included.
Top BFP Mount.png

You are a star, another piece of the puzzle falls into place :) I wonder at what point they switched from the old Battle of Britain blind flying panel to the oval top panel as photos only seem to show the older type on car door typhoons although I imagine the few photos that exist were of the prototypes?

You are a star, another piece of the puzzle falls into place :) I wonder at what point they switched from the old Battle of Britain blind flying panel to the oval top panel as photos only seem to show the older type on car door typhoons although I imagine the few photos that exist were of the prototypes?

Flat top; early war period. Curved top; mid-war to late 50s.
Most Typhoon photos showing a flat top BFP come from the early AP1804A and Pilot notes which were written for the Tornado, but were not updated by the Air Ministry when the Typhoon came into service.
Below are extracts from AP1275 Vol 1 showing BFP variations and rear components...
BFP.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back