Realism - more than Patriotism

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I never got the hang of fishing ... although I enjoy eating fish. There are large muskie below the falls ... and people who have fished off our dock caught small pickerel and smallmouth bass. I believe there are brown trout in the river as I sometimes hear fish jumping when I sit on the dock ... and my father-in-law says that only members of the trout species jump for prey. Since we have a 'deep hole' off the dock I believe there must be one or more large predator fish, like muskie, that lurk in the depths for prey coming down river ... but I have no confirmation of this.

Michael,

Do you or your son ever stay at the cabin for longer periods of time?
Perhaps a week-long vacation, maybe longer?

George

Yes .... he and his Mom spent a week last summer .... and the max for me these days is 2 nights in a row ..... but in Leks' younger days we always spent the week between Xmas and New Years.

When Leks was a week old, Tiina and I spent most of a month with him up there ..... when he was 13 he spent a week alone up there ... he rode his bike into Kinmount each day to buy food ... mostly frozen pizza

Last edited:
October 4. High 17, low 2. Regrets ..... on my mind

Autumn is a time of reflection, for me. Warm enough in the sun for sitting out, cool enough to justify fires for warmth and comfort.

I have always lived my life with the intention of have "no regrets" ... upon passing. And for the most part I think I have been successful in my goal ... which is quite different from living without makings mistakes. Those I have made plenty ... ... but most were inevitable ... given me ... and while I wouldn't knowingly repeat them ... I have no regrets.

So I find myself reflecting on war .... it's on my mind a lot these troubling days ... but I'm reliving my interaction with Mom's 2 brothers .... Arthur (the gunner turned pilot) and Richard ... the Private turned Lt Colonel. I deeply regret that I was not more mature in my dealings with Uncle Dick ... wish that I had been able to get understanding of his war ..... nightly raids into opposing trenches.

A typical 8 or 9 year-old I bluntly asked him if he every killed anyone. Instead of answering he described making a trench club .. a weapon I couldn't even imagine ... and he implied that the club was tool of choice in his line of work. Friday evening I re-lived that encounter with Dick and realized he had given me more insight into his life than I had ever realized.

Trench Weapons For Close Quarter Combat In The Great War. - Canada at War Forums

I chuckled remembering that when Uncle Dick tried to explain tanks to me I couldn't understand at first but as he explained further I gleefully told him I'd seen a Bugs Bunny cartoon with a tank .... A strange association for a veteran to observe from a young boy.

I've been reading Max Hastings of late (Nemesis - the Pacific War; and Armageddon - Europe 1944-45). Hastings makes a very good case for the wastefulness of both campaigns -- the sheer inefficiency of them -- turning campaigns into analysis of cost effectiveness. It is rarely flattering.

Which brings me back to my relatives whose service I honor and respect ..... I fear we are watching a global conflagration in the making .... sewn out of previous wars and previous wrongs be they real or imagined. Sadly, I don't see any other possible outcome but to stand and fight.

Attachments

• Vimy Pentax 186.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 190
  • img001.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 222
  • img008.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 190
  • images (1).jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 202
  • images.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
October 10, High 15, low minus 2

New outhouse path. Last time to drink a beer on the dock this season .... I'm back up tomorrow with Leks and we'll haul it out ....

Attachments

• IMG_2364.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_2368.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_2367.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG_2370.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 209
October 12, low minus 2, high 17

Productive day trip: dock out, storm windows on, pump stored and smoke ... for special effects

Attachments

• IMG_2374.jpg
    893 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2375.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_2379.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2381.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 57
Last edited:
October 25, low 3 degrees, high 11, misty morning, afternoon showers

Once again, a productive day trip : magic morning light, Willy dropped off Tiina's Christmas presents, splitting balsam softwood with Dieter, wood shed well stocked now, Leks topping a tall dead balsam near the cabin

Attachments

• IMG_2392.jpg
    409 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2397.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    907.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2400.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2404.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    807 KB · Views: 44
November 1 - 2; high plus 5, low minus 7

First snow -- 3 cms, confident cat -- he was up alone for 7 nights and turned up inside the cabin just after 11:00 PM last night ... hungry. Fresh gravel delivered for Leks to landscape with.

Attachments

• IMG_2406.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2410.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2413.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
November 7 - 8 High 2, low minus 6

Moody November ..... von Panzer volunteered to come home

Attachments

• IMG_2416.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49