Recommendations on Books Covering the History of the FW-190 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

contrails16

Airman
Jul 13, 2020
Massachusetts, USA, Earth
I would like to think that I have a decent amount of knowledge surrounding this plane, it's my favorite German fighter of the war. I would like to increase my knowledge even more though, does anybody have a recommendation on a book(s) that covers operational history of the plane as well as technical specifications? Thank you :)

I think this series will fill the bill...if you can afford it

1597673593416.png

1.. FW-190, Workhorse of the Luftwaffe , 9th in a series of books on Smithsonian aircraft
2. The History of German Aviation Kurt Tank Focke-Wulf's Designer and Test Pilot (new book, just got it and have not read it, Available for $9.95 from Hamiltonbook)
3. FW-190 The Early Years (Do not have it. Available for $13.95 from Hamiltonbook)
4.. Avweek article from WWII (Page 1 and 2 attached)

Profile Publications on FW-190A and FW-190D available for free off the Internet (I can supply if no one objects).
Fw0190AvWeek-1.jpg
Fw0190AvWeek-2.jpg

The Kagero Monografie and Monografie Lotnicze books are fairly good. Not a great single reference but sometimes you can find data there that you won't find elsewhere.
The Kagero TopDrawings books are excellent if you are into 3D modelling or are a rivet counter in plastic modelling.
Modeler's Eye 4 on the Dora is an excellent reference.
It is an excellent read even without the illustrations because the author seems to have done an awful lot of homework regarding the tech and evolving dimensions of the aircraft.
If you read German, "Focke Wulf Jagdflugzeug - Fw 190 A, Fw 190 "Dora", Ta 152 H" is an excellent book though some of the details in it are incorrect. One notable error is the propeller diameters for the Dora.
AeroDetail 2 and 6 also cover the Dora and Anton and are great for detail photographs and some dimensional drawings.
Production Line to Frontline Number 5 isn't a bad read either.
The Russian Language "Война в воздухе 80 and 81" are also good references but that presumes you read some Russian.
The title of the series translated means "War in the Air". People have a tendency to post PDFs of the Russian books on some sites.

This doesn't cover all the titles, just what I believe has the fewest overlaps.

- Ivan.

Last edited:
I would like to think that I have a decent amount of knowledge surrounding this plane, it's my favorite German fighter of the war. I would like to increase my knowledge even more though, does anybody have a recommendation on a book(s) that covers operational history of the plane as well as technical specifications? Thank you :)
Here's a must have, if you can find / fund it!
696DB9D0-1352-4FBB-8787-2EB036D6EE6F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back