Reichsverteidigung

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

6 Lancasters are claimed by pilots of I./NJG 6 flying a mix of Bf 110G-4's and Ju 88G-6's.

there is a strong possibility that the Lancs claimed could also have been Halifaxes.

at :

23.28 hrs Ofw. Schmidt shoots down 1 lanc as his 7th kill

23.30 Ofw. Bahr
23.37 Ofw. Bahr
23.46 Ofw. Bahr

23.53 Hauptman Friedrich who is Gruppenkommandeur of I. gruppe flying a Ju 88G-6 shoots down 1 lancaster in the area south of Wildbad

0.00 hrs Ofw. Bahr returns flying his Bf 110G-4 knocking down his 4 kill of the night, Northwest of Karlsruhe, his 27th kill.

1 Ju 88G-6 of 2./NJG 6 is lost due to a crash. probably a technical failure ? as the 4 man crew bails out wounded. this near Entringen/Wittberg. coded 2Z+LK

continuing with Stuttgart.

A fake Mossie raid with Drop markers happened on the night of 1/2 February 1945.

12/13 February 1945 72 Mossies to Stuttgart. No damage reported in my data base....

last mission : March 17/18, 1945. 2 Night fighter Mossies sent up to draw Luftwaffe fighters over Stuttgart as well as over Mannheim.
1 100th group Mossie is shot down by Me 262 equppied 10./NJG 11.

got another one on the morrow that I will post so we can debate the time and energies from both sides.....

E `

Erich:

Do you happen to have any map showing the entire area of operation of all the jagdgeshwadern committed to Reichsverteidigung operations in 1944?

If so, it could be of great help and illustrative in understanding the massive effort conducted by the jagdwaffe during the bloody year of 1944 to face the heavy bomber onslaught (also to show those who deny the fact the bulk of the jagwaffe operated in the west to meet the massive USAAF and RAF throughout the complete 1944).

Udet if that was possible you could not read the map ! IV.Sturm/JG 3 moved sometimes every 3 weeks due to Allied intel. knowing where to bomb them and wait for them over their fields after a mission.
The mission airfield maps are singular meaning a typical date is checked on say February 14 of 1944 and then the JG and ZG's are plotted on the map. this would change at least monthly for many of the air defence units....

Erich:

You are correct. It is my fault for not narrowing the idea.

I am aware the jagdgeschwadern as a whole or several gruppen would move on quite a frequent basis during the last year of the war.

So the natural thing is to have several maps (a monthly one) illustrating the areas of operation of the many units; sounds like quite the job of a full time researcher.

When I had my last vacation this summer, I devoted some time to make marks on a map showing the areas of influence of JG 1, JG 11 and III./JG 54 during early 1944 following the places where they were based during such period of time.

The work is far from being complete though.

heres a listing and am sure I have forgotten some units. February 1, 1945

I./JG 26 at Fürstenau
II./JG 26 at Nordhausen
III./JG 26 at Plantlünne

I./JG 27 at Rheine
II./JG 27 at Hopsten
III./JG 27 at Hesepe
IV./JG 27 at Achmer

I./JG 2 at Merzhausen
II./JG 2 at Nidda
III./JG 2 at Altenstadt

II./JG 53 at Malmsheim
III./JG 53 at Kirrlach
IV./JG 53 qat ST.-Echterdingen

I./JG 7 at Kaltenkirchen
III./JG 7 at ? Briest

IV./JG 54 at Sachau

II./JG 3 at Alperstedt

I./JG 300 at Borkheide
II.Sturm/JG 300 at Löbnitz
III./JG 300 at Jüterbog
IV./JG 300 at Wittsock

I./JG 301 at Finsterwalde
II./JG 301 at Welzow
III./JG 301 at Alteno

JG 400 what was left of it at Brandis

have left out the Night fighters both twin and single engine

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
Where does it label them by month though. I am sorry If I am misunderstanding you.

It doesn't, you have to do your own labeling. 'By sections' is the sections on the big map. The map on the JG26 site is for all LW bases, not just those of JG26.

Another way would be to make a track for each individual JG Gruppen from 1939 to 1945. Each base could then be labeled with the start date of its occupation of each base. A small arrow could be placed on the track line to show movement diraction.

A rough diagram

base A..................base B.................base C
*--------->----------*---------->--------*----------
date A...................date B.................date C

(ignore the periods, needed for spacing)

the only feasible way is to braodcast the individual gruppen of each Jagdgeschwader on a one time map and even that would get clogged up especially during 44-45 when the JG's were rushed to the western front and then moved east ward and then within the Reich proper........Uk what a headache

Erich,

Do you have any information concerning the action's of the Bf 109G-14 equipped II./JG 53 in 1944-45, like victory claims, engagements, loss lists etc.
I believe Major Gerhard Michalski commanded the Gruppe for most of the time.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back