Remains of a Hungarian-built Messerschmitt Me 109Ga-6 (from Győr) have been recovered from Lake Balaton

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Snautzer01

Honourably banned
Mar 26, 2007

Very interesting recovery. The aircraft is said to be a rare Hungarian Gyor produced aircraft so it looks like it will at least be displayed? The engine and propeller look quite good in these pics. The blades are feathered position and not bent but the airframe looks very poor. The engine has lost the usual "Elektron" Magnesium parts from corrosion but it should be identifiable. Definitely a DB 605 A but it could be, and I think it might be, a DB 605 AS. This would possibly make the aircraft a Me 109 G-6ASy, the "y" to show production at Gyor.
Would be great if there are some more close-ups of the Engine?
Cheers

Eng

Very interesting recovery. The aircraft is said to be a rare Hungarian Gyor produced aircraft so it looks like it will at least be displayed? The engine and propeller look quite good in these pics. The blades are feathered position and not bent but the airframe looks very poor. The engine has lost the usual "Elektron" Magnesium parts from corrosion but it should be identifiable. Definitely a DB 605 A but it could be, and I think it might be, a DB 605 AS. This would possibly make the aircraft a Me 109 G-6ASy, the "y" to show production at Gyor.
Would be great if there are some more close-ups of the Engine?
Cheers

Eng
DB 605/A1 00400342 " kwn ". = Donau-Flugzeugbau AG, Budapeszt-Csepel.

Attachments

• 1 (1).JPG
    1 (1).JPG
    351.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 17
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 18
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 12
Thank you very much for posting those pics Woodhaven!
Yes, I agree, I read the same details off the Baumusterschild. So, that engine would have been built early October 1943. Also, I can see that on the fourth pic, the rear lower engine mounting is the normal 605 A type.
The red painted "M" before the white painted engine number on the crankcase is interesting, but I do not know exactly what it means, and I won't just guess.
The major parts of the engine will have details of the plant that produced them. The Mercedes badge on the front of the reduction gear will have fallen into the remains of the corroded magnesium gear casing, but possibly it was recovered? This will have happened at the rear of the engine where the rear gear housing and supercharger has dissolved.
Overall, a very nice piece that fits properly into a rare corner of DB production and the Bf 109 history. BTW, the estimate for WEISS production is about 1,250 DB 605 engines.
Thanks!

Eng

Users who are viewing this thread

Back