eBay: Republic P-47 Thunderbolt

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Page 123 Unit History - 358th Fighter Group - Fold3

1603279339711.png

I would love to find out more about the aircraft in Post #277. Unless its been colourized, there's a lot going on with the camouflage
I'd wager a "WW" (War Weary) formation plane for a bomb group. Also notice all of the guns have been removed as well. That would make me guess a formation a/c.

Sealing up for transport

View attachment 279412

Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum - View Single Post - Luftwaffe aircraft on HMS Reaper

I think Chris Goss was right. This "plastic coating" was a black rubberised substance that was sprayed on, manufactured by a company called Plastiphane. It had nothing to do with shrink-wrap.

After googling 'Eronol' and 'Plastiphane' I learned that "...the first substance used was called Eronol. This was a very 'bitchumen' [sic] black application that was sprayed on, and was later considered both labour intensive and dangerous due to it needing to be removed by hand, using paraffin!! Later (from 1944 onward) the contract was given to the Plastiphane Co. who devised a solution that was more hard-wearing, easier to apply and remove, and was protective in a wide range of climate conditions...".

It took about 54 gallons of "Plastiphane" to coat a P-51.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back