Research Help Needed - VS-2 SBD-3 of Leppla

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robert Porter

Senior Master Sergeant
I am building the SBD-3 that John Leppla piloted during the Battle of Coral Sea. He flew off the Lexington and was one of 19 SBD's assigned to VS-2 at the time of the battle. His aircraft is listed as an SBD-3 in all references I could find. In the book "The Battle for Hell's Island" by Stephen Moore he quotes an interview with Liska the rear gunner that would indicate that Liska had a single .30 cal machine gun.

Yet in the table here it states that SBD-3's had twin .30 cal guns. Have to scroll quite a way down to see the table. It did not copy intact when I tried to paste it here. The source quoted there is Tillman.

Douglas SBD Dauntless Scout / Dive Bomber - Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor

My kit contains both a single and double so my belief is that at the time of the battle Liska would have had a single in the rear seat, but possibly that was later upgraded to a double?

My second question has to do with squadron markings. The kit shows the markings as
3_7_b3.jpg

Yet the best research I can find says that it would have been just S-## at the time of the battle with the leading 2 dropped. I was looking here for that info. Which is likely correct?

Researcher@Large - CV-2 USS Lexington - WWII Air Groups Again sorry you would need to scroll almost to the bottom to see what I saw.

Thanks in advance for any help clarifying these points for me!

View attachment 366101

So.....if your kite is a late model, 2MGs. Any idea on the BuNo?
No idea yet, I do know some of the publicity photos of the crew with an SBD were not his actual plane but rather a late model one that they painted to match. Looking at what records I can find on VS-2 the aircraft at Coral Sea came aboard in Early 42, at least the SBD's did. I am assuming it is an early model dash 3 that was later modified to the dual gun mount.

I actually looked through that exact list. There were 19 SBD-3's assigned to VS-2 and the list only documents 3 or 4 of them, none of them the one in question. Also of note, appears VS-2 died with the Lexington, I can find no reference to that Squadron after the Battle of the Coral Sea. I know in the list you just sent, several SBD's were listed as sunk with the carrier.

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 9.06.38 PM.png

The very next aircraft position report from 15th October strikes VS-2 entirely and makes no mention of where any surviving aircraft went. The above is from the report dated 15th April 1942.

The following are the BuNo's I could find in the above link.

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 9.11.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 9.11.37 PM.png

Those are from this book...

U.S. Navy, U.S. Marine Corps and U.S. Coast Guard Aircraft Lost During World War II - Listed by Ship Attached Volume I

....one day I'll get it

God my brain is a sieve, I have to remember to look in first team Vol 1 for you. I remember the author...on wait forget it. I just remembered it was 99% about the fighter planes and pilots. Don't think they have the somewhat microscopic markings coverage of the scout and dive bombing planes as they do on the fighters. Sorry to get your hopes up.

I have found in one of Polish book for the SBD plane a short info on the Leppla/Liska's fight on the May 7th 1942. There is stated the plane was of S-4 code. But I'm not sure if it isn't a mistake. Anyway the Polish text below and also an only pic I found that shows the SBD Dauntless of the VB and VS-2 squadrons on the flight deck of the Lexington in 1942 ( believing the caption ) . There can be noticed the one with "12" and it can be assumed it's just the 2-S-12 or just S-12.

atak.jpg

SBD Dauntless_12VS-2_USS Lexington 1942.jpg

Last edited:
The image is quite well-known and is dated on 1942 as well. The S-9 and S-13 (?) codes are seen. So it is very likely the plane code was of the kind at that time.

SBD-3 1942.jpg

These two profiles I found via the net show two SBD-3 kites of the USS Lexington (CV 2) and dated on May 1942. Both with the shorter code numbers on a fuselage.

SBD-3 S-8.jpg

SBD-3 S-11.jpg

You may have a look here ... Accurate Miniatures SDB-3 Dauntless

And something more ... Small Scale Military Headquarters - View topic - New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

newsbd3.jpg

newsbd1.jpg

and more ...

Liska posed with his single .30 cal ...

newsbd2.jpg

VS-2's after Action Report for May 8th, 1942 ... the point 1should be is interesting for you...

8-1.jpg

7.jpg

An opinion found there too ...

"Serial number 4547 IS S-12 that Merit chose to model. She was part of the very first batch of SBD-3's built for the US Navy beginning in 1940. As a matter of fact the line started with Sn# 4518 and ended (first batch) with 4691. Second batch was Sn# 3185-3384, and the third was 6492-6701. A total of 581 SBD-3's built. That makes S-12 (4547) the 29th SBD-3 off the El Segundo assembly line headed for the US Navy. Now comes the rub....some references state that the initial batch (4518-4691) came off the lines with single .30cal.....doubling to two .30 cal AFTER the first run> Now whether or not S-12 was converted is another question. Time and supplies may not have been available at the time....the markings changes and the availability of paint should tell you what state they were in at the time."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back