Research Help Needed - VS-2 SBD-3 of Leppla

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And a decal sheet although it is for 1/72 scale ... but with some info on three SBD kites of the VS-2.

Starfighter Decals 1/72 - U.S. NAVY AT THE BATTLE OF THE CORAL SEA May 1942

SF72137A.jpg

SF72137D.jpg

You may have a look here ... Accurate Miniatures SDB-3 Dauntless

And something more ... Small Scale Military Headquarters - View topic - New Merit 1/18 DAUNTLESS DISCUSSION

newsbd3.jpg

newsbd1.jpg

and more ...

Liska posed with his single .30 cal ...

newsbd2.jpg

VS-2's after Action Report for May 8th, 1942 ... the point 1should be is interesting for you...

8-1.jpg

7.jpg

An opinion found there too ...

"Serial number 4547 IS S-12 that Merit chose to model. She was part of the very first batch of SBD-3's built for the US Navy beginning in 1940. As a matter of fact the line started with Sn# 4518 and ended (first batch) with 4691. Second batch was Sn# 3185-3384, and the third was 6492-6701. A total of 581 SBD-3's built. That makes S-12 (4547) the 29th SBD-3 off the El Segundo assembly line headed for the US Navy. Now comes the rub....some references state that the initial batch (4518-4691) came off the lines with single .30cal.....doubling to two .30 cal AFTER the first run> Now whether or not S-12 was converted is another question. Time and supplies may not have been available at the time....the markings changes and the availability of paint should tell you what state they were in at the time."
This is awesome! Thank you very much. I believe it substantially confirmed that Liska had a single .30 cal on the date in question and the short code was used. Interesting about the propellor tip colors. Any idea what exactly the colors were?

This is awesome! Thank you very much. I believe it substantially confirmed that Liska had a single .30 cal on the date in question and the short code was used. Interesting about the propellor tip colors. Any idea what exactly the colors were?

My pleasure... regarding these tip colours : Red, Yellow, Dark Blue. Here are shots showing the prop blade tip ones I found via the Internet. I hope it can be helpful.

SBD prop.jpg

SBD prop_a.jpg

SBD prop_b.jpg

SBD prop_c1.jpg

SBD prop_c.jpg

I honestly can't begin to imagine being without Wojtek as a resource! And I hope he never feels like we take him for granted, I certainly don't. He ALWAYS finds a way to help anyone that asks!

And always has an encouraging word to offer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back