Researching an RAF pilot

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BuNo02100

Airman
Apr 17, 2014
Austin
My area of research has been USMC aviators but i have no idea the best way to get started helping out a friend. Her grandfather was a pilot in WW2 and killed in a plane crash, that much we know. We even have the accident report. But, how do we request his service record to find out which squadrons he served with and which archives do we ask? After that, what about RAF War Diaries, where are they and what level of detail do they contain.

Thanks for any assistance

BW

His service record can be obtained directly from the Ministry of Defence:

Request records of deceased service personnel

Squadron War Diaries (also known as Operations Record Books or F540s) are available for download from the UK National Archives. A search for the squadron number in category AIR 27 should get you what you need. Usually, you have to pay a nominal fee for downloading these documents but, with all the COVID fun, the downloads are free at present. The level of detail in the F540s is variable. Compiling the ORB is still, to this day, a secondary duty for some poor officer - those who were diligent produced outstanding records, those who were lazy did not. Also bear in mind that he may not have served on an operational squadron and, typically, ORBs for training units are very skimpy.

Hope this helps a wee bit.

Mark,
That helped out tremendously. He was a pilot with No 541 squadron flying PR Spitfires. My friend will be requesting his service record so that we can dig through the ORB/F540s that are posted and appear to still be free if you register. Thanks your assistance.

BW

Users who are viewing this thread

Back