Researching early Soviet airliners.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

maxmwill

Airman 1st Class
Apr 18, 2011
I'm researching the Kalinin K5 when it was used during the Winter War. I have yet to find any chronicle or photos of this.

The other type is the Nieman Khai-1VV, a bomber variant of the Khai-1 airliner

I'm researching the Kalinin K5 when it was used during the Winter War. I have yet to find any chronicle or photos of this.

Hi, one question, do you mean K-5s were used by the military during the Winter War, or in use as airliners at the time of the Winter War? The Kalinin K-5 was built in what were considered sizeable numbers for a Soviet type (built in Ukraine), with around 260 built by 1934. Reportedly it was an efficient type, economically as well. I can't see any reference to use by the military in 1940, by then, it was an outdated design, and the air force and airlines were equipped by more modern types.

The other type is the Nieman Khai-1VV, a bomber variant of the Khai-1 airliner

Iosif Nieman or Nyeman was the designer for the Kharkovskii Aviatsonii Institut. What little I have on these aircraft is that the KhAI-1VV (for VVS), or the KhAI-1B was produced for bomber training, with a 200 kg load of practise bombs hung vertically in the fuselage. It had two machine guns mounted in flexible mounts. Only two were built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back