Researching the Roaring 20's (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Grandson312

Airman
Feb 26, 2022
Central New York
Hello forum!

It is my understanding that my Grandfather, Corporal Sheldon Scriven was a quiet man, and rarely spoke of WW2. He served with the 312 Bomb Group in the South Pacific. Recently I have developed an interest in learning about his time with the 312(L) bomb group, for which he was a Photographer, and when on Reconnaissance, aboard one of the A-20's called "O'Riley's Daughter II". I am currently reading through "Rampage of the Roaring 20's", and have a copy of "Wreaking Havoc: A Year in an A-20" by Joseph W. Rutter on the way.

Whenever I see a photograph of the 312 group, I can't help but wonder if my Grandfather is the one who took it. I have not yet found any definitive number of how many Photographers there were, but I see the department referenced in the inception of the group from the time Colonel Strauss was forming it.

I do have a small number of his 312 photographs that have not been seen before. I need to look into copyright or commons licensing on these, not to prevent access, but to keep others from doing so.

Sheldon died in 1976, and he was far too young in his passing to have known me, only 2 years old at the time.

But something I noticed right away in reading "Roaring 20's" is that the character and spirit of that group is very reminiscent of my own Father's, and that is something worth mentioning, and continuing to pass on to others. Never say "I can't". Everybody contributes to the labor at hand. We make do with what we have. We study broadly, and learn many skills, even as we specialize in our individual strengths.

Hello forum!

It is my understanding that my Grandfather, Corporal Sheldon Scriven was a quiet man, and rarely spoke of WW2. He served with the 312 Bomb Group in the South Pacific. Recently I have developed an interest in learning about his time with the 312(L) bomb group, for which he was a Photographer, and when on Reconnaissance, aboard one of the A-20's called "O'Riley's Daughter II". I am currently reading through "Rampage of the Roaring 20's", and have a copy of "Wreaking Havoc: A Year in an A-20" by Joseph W. Rutter on the way.

Whenever I see a photograph of the 312 group, I can't help but wonder if my Grandfather is the one who took it. I have not yet found any definitive number of how many Photographers there were, but I see the department referenced in the inception of the group from the time Colonel Strauss was forming it.

I do have a small number of his 312 photographs that have not been seen before. I need to look into copyright or commons licensing on these, not to prevent access, but to keep others from doing so.

Sheldon died in 1976, and he was far too young in his passing to have known me, only 2 years old at the time.

But something I noticed right away in reading "Roaring 20's" is that the character and spirit of that group is very reminiscent of my own Father's, and that is something worth mentioning, and continuing to pass on to others. Never say "I can't". Everybody contributes to the labor at hand. We make do with what we have. We study broadly, and learn many skills, even as we specialize in our individual strengths.
You may also try the folks a History Hub. They may be able to give you specific agencies to contact . Getting Started with History Hub | History Hub

Do you have that Phenomenal book by Lawrence Hickey, "Rampage of the Roaring 20's"?

I do, yes. The electronic format for now, but I do want the add the real book to my shelf as well.

The book's cover threw me for a loop, because the nose art on that A-20 is identical to the one he flew aboard, and took pictures from. Different names on the planes though.

You may also try the folks a History Hub. They may be able to give you specific agencies to contact . Getting Started with History Hub | History Hub

Thanks, I've bookmarked that page!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back