Revell/Frog Avro Shackleton 1/72

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lancaster630

Airman 1st Class
Feb 26, 2007
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has done this model or knows which I should select to be able to complete as an aircraft from the last days of 8 Squadron like this one

1530.jpg

Thankyou in advance :)

Well the old Frog kit, which was very good for its day, was a MR3, with the nose-wheel undercart, wing tip tanks etc. I remember buidling it back in about 1969 I think. I also started on a conversion to the MR2, as in your pic, about the same time, using the radome from a Gannet. It can be done, but requires quite a bit of work, and the right reference material. If the kit is now available from Revell, and I haven't seen it advertised, there might be some aftermarket conversion kits around. Maybe a look on the Hannant's web-site might reveal something.

I've built one and has Terry says FUN ! and i've got to admit there are alot of rivits on this model :oops:

You need tonnes of lead in the nose to make it sit on its nose.

This was the cheapest stockist of the old Froggy kit inthe UK. In the guise of 'Modelcraft' but has now sold out, if you only asked two weeks ago, they had them in stock then. Keep an eye out they always get them in

Modelcraft - Avro Shackleton MR3 Scale: 1/72 UK

ebay....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Revell-1-72-s...es_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN?hash=item45ef4a8a73

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/REVELL-AVRO-S...es_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN?hash=item5636f73f92

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-Frog-...es_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN?hash=item45ef49d3e1

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was just looking into this kit earlier.....and after looking at several reviews I heard it was not a very good kit and that it needed a ton of work. Is this true because I want to build a shackleton myself as well in the future.

When it was first released by Frog in the late 1960's, one of their last kits, it was more than acceptable, but of course, people expect a lot more today. Remembering the frog kit is a MR3, similar in general appearance to the AEW2 posted above, it can be made into a nice model, with a bit of work, and some scratch-built interior detailing. The internal parts provided in the kit were typical of the period - acceptable, but basic.
To build the AEW2 as shown means a conversion from tricycle to tail wheel landing gear, including modification or replacement of the main gear legs, the addition of the radome and a few details here and there. Unless there is still an aftermarket convesion kit available, it would mean a lot of scratch-building, and probably a search for a suitable kit which has a similar radome, such as a Gannet or Skyraider, which can be 'donated'.
As mentioned in my previous post, I haven't seen any ads for a Revell Shackleton, so I don't know if it's a re-issue of the Frog kit, or a new AEW2, that is, if there is a kit.
EDIT: I've just looked at the links poasted by Ian, and see that the Revell kt, which I presume is now out of production, is the MR3 version, so almost certainly the old Frog kit. Even if it's a new tooling, which I very much doubt, it will take some work to convert to the AEW2 or MR2.

Last edited:
well looks like there will be a project ahead of me then well if thats what it takes I all for it 8) I think then if the revell kit is a reissue of the frog one if I can get my hands on the revell example then at least it will be a younger kit to work with but I suppose if there is mangeling to be done then it does not matter which I get really.

Thanks for your help guys :)

Probably you already have found the answer but if not go to the website for Sanger Models who have any Shackleton you are looking for. You can find them on sangereng.fsnet.co.uk

I've also got this kit and it's on my 'to ebay' list, the nose transparency is missing and maybe 1 or 2 minor bits too but nothing beyond most modellers skills to fix.
I purchased mine in a joblot and am keeping the WWII aircraft, have no interest in this kit at all really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back