RLM 04 yellow as upper surface colour for Luftwaffe flying boats.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Master_Ale_88

Airman
Aug 22, 2021
verde9.com
I have recently re-read "Luftwaffe colours 1935-1935" by Michael Ullmann and I noticed an interesting detail that I have never examined in depth: it seems that, at least in 1938, Luftwaffe maritime aircraft and flying boats were supposed to be painted with yellow upper surfaces! It is quite odd to me, but it is proved by L.Dv. 521/1 1941, that prescribed to abandon the usage of RLM 04 Gelb for maritime aircraft. Please, could anyone explain me the reason for such an interesting painting? Has anyone ever seen a photo of an aircraft sporting this colour as a top surface coat? Thank you!
Screenshot_20210826-005025_Drive.jpg

Reason? Visibility...? Just like the US Navy pre-WWII
You're right Capt. Vick, but what makes me sceptical about visibility purposes is that with the same document (L.Dv.521/1 1938) RLM 72 and 73 were introduced. These tones were supposed to be used to camouflage maritime aircrafts (and they were actually used from 1939 on). Why were they introduced earlier to be left unused for one year?
Actually it seems that RLM 04 Gelb was used as a top colour on maritime planes for just one year, while mimetic colours for these aircraft were ready and, moreover, all the other planes were already being camouflaged...This is what appears strange to me...

The highlighted phrase includes the word "Draft"
Yes. However the following page of Hullmann's book shows a black and white photo of a Dornier Do 16 which "wings may be RLM 04 Gelb" according to the author. It seemed to me quite unusual and that's the reason why I created this discussion. Moreover, if the 1941 edition of L.Dv.521/1 prescribes to abandon RLM 04 for maritime aircaft it means that it must have been used the years before; otherwise it wouldn't have been specified.

I see. The other caption wasn't included. Abandonment in the 1941 edition does not necessarily mean the entire upper surface was painted. It could also mean that yellow as a general colour was to be dropped in any form as in ID bands or other markings. I'd have to see the words.

"Shade 04 for naval aircraft camouflage has been abandoned" could just be a reminder that this had been ordered in a previous communication.

The use of Gelb 04 was limited to upper wing surfaces, IIRC...

"Shade 04 for naval aircraft camouflage has been abandoned" could just be a reminder that this had been ordered in a previous communication.

The use of Gelb 04 was limited to upper wing surfaces, IIRC...
Yes, I agree with you, but I think that my request was misunderstood. In truth I was just asking if someone had ever seen a photo showing maritime aircraft showing this particular livery. Anyway thanks for your contribution!

Yes, I agree with you, but I think that my request was misunderstood. In truth I was just asking if someone had ever seen a photo showing maritime aircraft showing this particular livery. Anyway thanks for your contribution!
We might have seen them in b/w photos, but no colour ones have surfaced yet

Maybe it refers to some Lufthansa flying boats pressed in Luftwaffe service. For example Do26 had yellow upperside wings in Lufthansa yellow that was very close to RLM04. The rest of the structure being painted in RLM63.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back